chickens and swimming pools

congdon476

GaLLiNa LOcA
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Pueblo Area
OK- call me crazy- but I'm trying to come up with CHEAP ways to keep my chickens cool in the prairie heat this summer. Would they be interested in something like a mud bath in a kiddie pool? Someone said on another post they like to keep cool on the wet ground. What if I filled a kiddie pool with some nice dirt and sand mix, put a little canopy over it and wet down the mixture each morning? Not muddy and sticky- but just enough to make it slightly damp and firm? I could even throw out a scoop of ice cubes in the morning to melt down and cool it off.

Any other ideas out there?

Quote:
Can't say since I've never tried it, but it sounds like a fun, easy way to help them stay cool! Give it a shot, I may try it, too!

ETA, In the past I have used box fans, and on really beastly days, put a tub of ice in front of the fan to cool the blowing air. But it does run the electric bill up a lot, and I don't trust the darn things to not short out and fry.

Last edited:
Be careful how long you leave them in the pool....

16866_turkeybikini.jpg

tongue.png

Just make sure they have shade, plenty of cool water and fans help.

My girls stand in their outside waterer when they are really hot..they take turns. It is a galvanized horse feed pan...they love it. So, if you do the pool thing, just make sure there is not too much water in there and it should be fine.

You can made them a little air conditioner ... take a plastic tote or garbage can and put 2 litre bottles inside that have been fille with water and frozen. You can reuse them also. It acts like a "cool room" for them. I also put a fan near to blow the cold air around them.

Last edited:
I bought the plastic cement mixing tubs at the hardware store. Not as big as a kiddie pool. Easier to refill and keep clean, much tougher material for the long haul, and takes less water which is easier on the wallet. They'll jump in it, drink water out of it. Seems to be a good idea to beat the heat

Back
Top Bottom