Am I missing anything? Should something be added to my run?

Mar 8, 2024
Hi all!!
Yesterday I had to do a little clean-up outside, which then of course led to me getting off track and renovating the chickie's run. So this is what I did.
I added more dirt to their dust bath which they love, it is literally just an old kiddie pool filled with regular 'ol dirt, not a special mixture or anything, it is a perfect boredom-buster especially if your chickens can't free-range often.
The next thing I did was I added an old bench, it is a perfect place for them to perch as well as for me to sit on. What has worked very well for me is adding leaves to the chicken run, it makes great bedding and once the leaves break down it will create dirt probably. I added some hay into their tire which is standing up so they can lay in there, my rooster loves molding his body into the hay so that it creates a perfect nest for his girls.
So... Do you guys have any other boredom buster ideas for my run/coop? And am I missing anything that should be included, like other boredom busters or anything?
Thank you in advance!

And a big shout-out to Ledo (prounounced lee-doe), my sapphire gem rooster who modeled the dust bath for me!🤣

Attachments

• 20240408_123943.jpg
    20240408_123943.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • 20240408_121427.jpg
    20240408_121427.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240408_121357.jpg
    20240408_121357.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 22
you're chickens have a great run! my chickens made their own dust bath in their run lol, i have a chair in mine i sit on while i feed them. they have a roost with 1 thick stick and 1 thinner stick, and 3 nest boxes for eggs, the back opens so i can get the eggs easier. pretty basic but hopefully gave you some ideas!

you're chickens have a great run! my chickens made their own dust bath in their run lol, i have a chair in mine i sit on while i feed them. they have a roost with 1 thick stick and 1 thinner stick, and 3 nest boxes for eggs, the back opens so i can get the eggs easier. pretty basic but hopefully gave you some ideas!
Haha, my chickens make their own dustbaths, too, but mostly in our planting pots 😑 That's a good idea of the chair, my plan is using the bench in there to sit on, but I'm worried about how to keep it clean so that I can sit. My chicken coop has 3 nesting boxes as well, but apparently they prefer to lay in a new coop that isn't occupied. My nesting boxes definitely need renovating though. Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks so much, @The Ranch Girl! It took us several weekends to build it. Apparently there are some sparrows building a nest in the roof and I have no idea how to get them out. I'm just worried about them spreading the bird flu to my birds, because a county near mine had several cases of the flu. I'm also currently trying to find a way to collect water coming off of the roof into a barrel that is connected to a PVC pipe with little water cups connected to it so that the chickens have a constant supply of fresh water. There is a lot to be done with the coop this year!

Thanks so much, @The Ranch Girl! It took us several weekends to build it. Apparently there are some sparrows building a nest in the roof and I have no idea how to get them out. I'm just worried about them spreading the bird flu to my birds, because a county near mine had several cases of the flu. I'm also currently trying to find a way to collect water coming off of the roof into a barrel that is connected to a PVC pipe with little water cups connected to it so that the chickens have a constant supply of fresh water. There is a lot to be done with the coop this year!
Your welcome!
We were going to do the same
with ours. But it would be an automatic water system for our goats too. Whenever we get around to it :barnie

That's a good idea of the chair, my plan is using the bench in there to sit on, but I'm worried about how to keep it clean so that I can sit.
Some folks will keep it turned over so the birds can 'use' it and it will be clean for you to turn upright to sit in cleanly.

Back
Top Bottom