Chickens and the garden

jennic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
indiana
Is there any possible way to keep the chickens out of the garden? I live in an area where there are alot of amish, and they have big gardens and free range chickens, any ideas? Thanks

Are the Amish folks out in the gardens all day? That's probably how they keep the chickens out... My girls are sneaky and *fast* and run straight for my tomatoes as soon as my back is turned....

Ive never really had a problem with them in the garden, they have 5 acres to free range, and I have a pretty big garden. I actually like them in there for the bug controll, never had a problem with them eating the veggies.

I had to fence my garden, they ate all my seedlings one time adn all my pak choi the next time, so I had no choice
sad.png

I have a butterfly garden that my chickens ate to nubs last year and a lot of it isn't coming back. The hostas that are coming in are all chewed up (hmmm wonder who did that)

I would recommend a fence - I'm getting one.

My garden fencing is 36" tall 1" chicken mesh stapled to 5' sharpened cedar posts (with the bark removed of course). I'm hoping this will keep the fellers out--for the most part....
tongue.png

I have a vegetable garden, no chickens yet. I don't plan on letting them free range. I do however want to let them out while I keep an eye on them. Are they easy to herd away from your garden to another part of your yard? Let them eat some bugs in the lawn, and then herd them back to their coop?

Back
Top Bottom