Chickens and thunderstorms

JacobH28

Chirping
May 6, 2023
Senoia, Georgia
With the recent weather seemingly getting more and more extreme, are chickens afraid of thunder, lightning, or hail? I would love to know to maybe help better their coop.

Yes, chickens are afraid of thunderstorms just like many other animals are, especially younger chickens who have not yet gotten an understanding of what is happening when it is raining. It helps to have an area in their coop or pen that is closed off and safe from the thunderstorm in order to make the chickens feel less stressed.

If I write a list of which animals care most to least, chickens are at the bottom. They do care and I see them freeze in place for a bit like when they know a flying predator is around. But they don't lose their minds like horses and they don't find me to let me know the end of times is here like my 165lb. dog who can squeeze himself under the coffee table during football games....

Some of our flock will hide in the tractor shed when it's thundering, others don't seem to care. Almost all of them will forage in the rain since their hunts are much more successful when the worms are being driven aboveground to avoid drowning and bugs are crawling up stems for the same reason.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom