chickens and tomatoes?

crystal94040

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
I have a huge fence around my chicken run that looks so bare, I was thinking about planting some vining tomatoes to climb the fence this summer....but will the chickens just destroy the plants and eat all the tomatoes?
If so is there anything they won't go after? VINING/Climbing vegetables fruits flowers?

Tomatoes are a favorite treat of my chickens! I put 3 grape tomatoes into my barn pen that has 3 chicks in it (9 weeks and 12 weeks), and you should have SEEN the frenzy!

yea they'll eat your tomatoes. i love tomatoes but my chickens would get to ripe ones before i could most of time. as far as other plants don't know.

hmmm, well it is "chicken wire" so maybe they won't be able to get em' all if I plant them on the outside of the fence?...hmmmm
I don't have a problem planting an obscene amount of em'...we can share...lol

Runner beans might work, peas will climb. Tall sunflowers will look nice. Why not plant a bunch of veggies for your chickens?

Cheers,
Michelle

edited to add that you could also plant corn stalks and beans together, and let the beans climb the corn. 2 fer 1, chicken fun.

Last edited:
My girls just love tomatoes. I usually plant plenty of grape tomatoes so there is enough for all. But I don't plant them where the gjirls can get to the plants. I dont think that the plants itself are good for them. They do come from the nightshade family.
hmm.png
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom