Chickens and turkeys.... and their run?

Hillsvale

Songster
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
OK the initial intention was to create a space for about 4 laying hens, then I thought well why not raise meat chickens.... but now I think why not turkeys too! And so it begins...

So we were outdoors today and settled on the area for the chicken coop, needs to be sturdy and insulated as we are in eastern Canada and have some wild winters... the spot we have picked out in half grass and half cleared scrub and undergrowth. Is this an OK area for chickens and the other various birds we are planning on or does it all need to be grass? The intention in to push the run area back through out next summer into the wooded scrub tree area but obviously if this sort of area isn't any good I need to rethink things. Also do turkeys need coops?

We are on dial up and it takes a lot of time to research these things so felt just asking wold be more productive!...

Thanks, there will be more! lol:rolleyes:

Quote:
Scrub areas are fine. Our chickens are particularly fond of that sort of area! Turkeys are hardier than chickens when mature, but I always recommend a shelter, especially in the winter.

OK thats good to know and I suppose more bugs and worms would lke that scrub area so the birds would too ... I can build a lean to of some sort (oh who am I kidding.. a turkey condo).... I presume that the turkeys wouldn't be needing winter accomodations because they are a three or four month bird aren't they (before killing them)... sorry bird.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom