chickens and turkeys coexist??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stillstoked, Mar 5, 2011.

1. stillstoked

stillstoked In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Elkton
    do/can turkeys and chickens share a brooder? when would be a good time to separate them?
    I have 15 Cornish Cross Chickens and 3 BB Bronze Turkeys coming in about 2 weeks.
    I have about 25 sq ft of space (round) set up with 2 heat lamps at one end.
    thanks,
    stillstoked

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I keep them that way, no problems so far. I know it is discouraged as turkeys get disease so easily. The Turkeys will out grow the chicks and be way more active, when they take to roosting, I'd separate them then. The meaties will rarely if ever roost. I have mine with a Hen, first time and hoping it works for them NOT to eat constantly and to sleep at night under her as long as possible, like at least a WEEK [​IMG] good thing she's not a banty.

3. stillstoked

Mar 5, 2011
    Elkton
    thanks i'm gonna give it a try for a while.

4. Dragonfly Farms

Dragonfly Farms Hatching

Mar 5, 2011
    We have 3 turkeys in with our chickens they grew up in the brooder with the chickens and have always been with a lot of chickens and 5 ducks no fuss no muss....enjoy
    [​IMG]

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    The danger is to the turkeys, since most chickens carry a disease that's benign to them but lethal to unvacinated turkeys called Blackhead. The benefit to the chickens is that turkeys carry a benign form of mareks and being exposed to turkey poop can give them resistance to it. Later when the Toms get large they can get overly aggressive and if they corner a chicken will kill it.

Basically you can keep them together but ther's a lot of risks.

6. blackvelvet

blackvelvet In the Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Where did you get your chicks and turkeys? I wanna find a hatchery that would be willing to let me just order 2 or 3 turkey poults along with my chick.

7. stillstoked

Mar 5, 2011
    Elkton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: