chickens and vegetable gardens??

vtsarahb

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Bradford, VT
I am planning on free-ranging my chickens when they're old enough.... will they bother with pumpkin plants? what about corn seedlings? We are trying to estimate how much fencing we'll need for our garden. Thanks!

To a chicken, the whole world is its salad bowl, and underneath is its dust-bathtub. They love to peck at green growing things, especially new tender seedlings. And they love to scratch and dig in dirt with their big dinosaur feet, then lay themselves down and dust-bathe in it.

Fence the garden or the chickens.

Yep, if you plant it, they will come (and destroy!). Fence it in. I've learned one solid truth in less than a year of keeping chickens: There's no such thing as chicken-proofing a garden. Chicken-resistant, sure, but not chicken-proof. They're tricky!

i had about 20 corn seedlings that were about 2"s tall,, they are gone now,,, chickens hopped the fence and either scratched or pecked the corn seedlings,,, boo

when you are looking at that nice tomato ripening on that vine, so pretty, and tasty looking, and then you see that your chicken has poked a big hole in not one, but many of your yummy red ripe tomato's!!!!

Quote:
I actually inquired my delawares from a lady who could not keep them out of her garden, she ssaid they ate everything and she could not stand it, I have fencing around mine so had no problem last year

Back
Top Bottom