Chickens and water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dgeter, May 5, 2009.

1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    We just got 2 baby ducks and 2 silver seabright chicks. We want to put a small swimming area in the coop. However Im afraid to make the "pool" too deep because of the chickens. Can chickens swim? I want the water to be deep enough that the ducks can at least float but Im not sure how deep I can go? [​IMG]

2. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    No, they will definitely drown... But, you could put marbles or rocks in the bottom of it..

My Brother Lost SO many baby chicks several years ago, to drowning them.. he just didnt know

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Chickens can not swim!! I only put water as deep as the chicks can stand in. You can also put rocks and things in the water so that if they do fall in, they can climb on top of the rocks and get out. Very important, because chicks drown very easily.

4. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    I know nothing about ducks, but when we got our chicks from the feed store they gave us a general care sheet for chicks and ducks. I remember something about NOT putting young ducks in water for awhile. They don't have the necessary oil on their feathers right away and will catch a chill.

Maybe someone with more duck experience can add to or clarify this.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd hold off on the pool for now, for your chicks sake.

6. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I was talking more about when they were grown up. They're too young to even go into the coop right now. But when they are old enough I'll be sure that the water isn't too deep for them to get out. Thanks for the advice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by