1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and wild mushrooms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marymac, Sep 15, 2008.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Is it ok for chickens to eat wild mushrooms? I have some growing in my yard after all the rain we've had. Now I'm wondering about when I let them out if they will eat the mushrooms, and what if they are the poison kind. Are chickens immune to bad mushrooms, or will they just not eat them?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can only speak from the experience I've had. We have lots of mushrooms growing around here too, because we have had lots of rain and we have cows grazing everywhere [​IMG]
    I've seen my chickens take a bite or two out of some of the mushrooms, but then they leave them alone. They seem to know which ones are okay to eat and which ones aren't. Perhaps the mushrooms taste bitter? None of the chickens have gotten sick from the few bites they've taken.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    In my chicken run I have a few wild mushrooms of various kinds come up, but the chickens leave them alone. I'm not sure if they take a very small bite and don't like them or just know to leave them alone. So mushrooms haven't been any problem for my chickens so far.

4. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    my birds won't even eat delicious portabellas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by