Ducks and wild mushrooms

barefootcountry

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 20, 2013
New York State
8/9/23. We have had an excessive amount of rain this summer and mushrooms are popping up in places they haven't before. This morning our ducks discovered a feast of them on a old tree trunk in their pasture...they devoured them like honey covered ants! I think they are called "puff ball" mushrooms...I would imagine the ducks know what they can eat but was wondering if it is something to keep them away from or should I encourage the growth of the mushrooms for added foraging? Thank you for any input🙂, Brenda
16916005530764023826975085559069.jpg

I was hoping someone else would answer this.

I have ducks. I'm trying to raise my own mushrooms.

That said, what I have learned in researching growing my own mushrooms is that:
A] Even experts routinely misidentify mushrooms based only on a photo.
B] "puff ball" mushrooms are generally edible

I'll leave you with an observation.

In my experience, neither ducks nor chickens will eat anything to excess that is bad for them in the near term (i.e, poisonous/toxic) if they have other options available. I wouldn't sweat this, but neither would I try and encourage it - too many mushroom species AREN'T edible, and its hard to tell one from the other. Also, growing mushrooms is far more difficult than promised.

Very best to you!

I was hoping someone else would answer this.

I have ducks. I'm trying to raise my own mushrooms.

That said, what I have learned in researching growing my own mushrooms is that:
A] Even experts routinely misidentify mushrooms based only on a photo.
B] "puff ball" mushrooms are generally edible

I'll leave you with an observation.

In my experience, neither ducks nor chickens will eat anything to excess that is bad for them in the near term (i.e, poisonous/toxic) if they have other options available. I wouldn't sweat this, but neither would I try and encourage it - too many mushroom species AREN'T edible, and its hard to tell one from the other. Also, growing mushrooms is far more difficult than promised.

Very best to you!
Thank you so much for your response. They are faring well from their mushroom snack. No ill side effects!!

Back
Top Bottom