Chickens are addictive!!

Aspen47591

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
OK, so our original group of ten girls are doing great, 12 weeks old. They are so much fun and love to interact with us. Soooo....

At a farm auction last week, Hub bid on Araucana chicks. Ten more chicks! One didn't make it through the first night, but the rest are bright-eyed and active, growing like weeds.

These are such beautiful chicks, different colors. They are wilder than our first group and don't like to be held much. I can't even get them to eat out of my hand. Yet!

Welcome to the slippery slope down.....
th.gif

lol.png
The more the merrier, that's what I say
wink.png

I have six of these chicks and they were eatting out of my hand by the end of the 2nd week I had them. I had all 6 of them on my hand trying to eat! Now they are outside and when they see me coming they all stand at the gate waiting to see what I am bringing them.

Helaine

Hub cuddled one of the chicks last night while I was cleaning the brooder. I got a pic of that! The little spotted/striped chicks are so cute! This one just settle down on his belly and took a nap.

In this bunch, we don't know if we have males or females. I hope we have a few girls!

Yeah when I first got my chicks I just figured some would be for meat, others for eggs, order new chicks every year, end of story. Well then I found BYC and found out about incubating and buying hatching eggs, etc etc...now I have ducks coming at the end of the month and I have my eye on an incubator!

Had a bad experience. Raccoon reached through the chicken wire and killed three of my new brood (7 weeks) of 10 pullets and a rooster. I messed up and put some roosts on the inside, very high up on the front which was chicken wire. While they were sleeping the Raccoon reached through and got three of my hens. Pretty gruesome. They are all Leghorns. I want to get some more (maybe 10 more Leghorns) to fill out the original group. Will the new 10 integrate well into the 7 week ones and will they become one flock?

Back
Top Bottom