Chickens are all ? attacking one on the ground

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
I have 6 SS (3 young) and one Wellsummer (5 yrs old) and 2 Australorps (both 5 months old). The Welsummer is usually quite timid about everything. Today the Welsummer had one of Australorps pinned on the ground and was pecking her head. Two other times in the past few weeks an Austalorp (same one?) was pinned to the ground and several hens (adults and younger ones) were all on top of her -one SS flapping around like a rooster would be-and attacking her. Of course I don't know if it's the same bird being attacked, but it seems odd that they are this aggressive. In the past I've had hens peck and chase each other but have not seen this behavior where they pin down another hen, if that's what they did. It's possible she is taking a defensive position because I've never seen how this starts-and clearly it's happening when I'm not there. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there a way to mark a chicken so I know if it's the same one getting attacked?

I will begin by saying that you need to intervene now or risk that Australorp getting severely injured or killed. Read this and you will understand better what is happening. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

If you've ever dealt with human bullies and their victims, especially with children, you may have had the suspicion that the bully victim, by their timid and insecure behavior, often triggers the more aggressive kids into tormenting them.

This is the way with chickens. It's a self-fulfilling cycle where a timid chicken is pushed around and she responds by being even more timid and scared, and that triggers the aggression of the other chickens. It can snowball if not checked, and on rare occasions, it can result in severe injury or death. When bullying is at the stage where chickens are standing on the victim and punishing the head region, you have a very critical issue that needs immediate attention. You know who the victim is, and that's all you need to know to take steps in fixing this. The article tells you what to do.

I will begin by saying that you need to intervene now or risk that Australorp getting severely injured or killed. Read this and you will understand better what is happening. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

If you've ever dealt with human bullies and their victims, especially with children, you may have had the suspicion that the bully victim, by their timid and insecure behavior, often triggers the more aggressive kids into tormenting them.

This is the way with chickens. It's a self-fulfilling cycle where a timid chicken is pushed around and she responds by being even more timid and scared, and that triggers the aggression of the other chickens. It can snowball if not checked, and on rare occasions, it can result in severe injury or death. When bullying is at the stage where chickens are standing on the victim and punishing the head region, you have a very critical issue that needs immediate attention. You know who the victim is, and that's all you need to know to take steps in fixing this. The article tells you what to do.
Thank you so much for your reply and the article about victims. I had no idea it could get this bad, and I have separated the two Australorps for now until I can build an enclosure
I so appreciate this information. Thanks for clarify that this is indeed a situation that needs to be addressed.

So just to be clear this separation need to be for about 3 weeks more or less?

It can vary according to each victim, but it usually takes two or three weeks to instill this new attitude. If you carefully follow the steps, giving the victim increasing time to mingle in the flock each day to test themselves, you will be able to see when the victim has learned enough self confidence to stand up for themselves and can "graduate" back into the flock full time.

I'm so glad you separated them when you did. I can tell you from personal experience if it Would have turned out bad. I would definitely test it out before letting them all back together at any point

It can vary according to each victim, but it usually takes two or three weeks to instill this new attitude. If you carefully follow the steps, giving the victim increasing time to mingle in the flock each day to test themselves, you will be able to see when the victim has learned enough self confidence to stand up for themselves and can "graduate" back into the flock full time.
Ok I get it. Thanks so much for all your advice and support.

Back
Top Bottom