Chickens are dying all of a sudden

You should also clean up any dead birds including the now very gross rooster. Trash bag and a shovel should do the trick.

Know that your remaining birds will also eat dead mice, rats and other birds.

Since you know your neighbor has some powerful poison out confining your birds is the only way to keep them safe.

Just a thought.
You might call your local County or City Animal Control Officer, to have them come out and take photos of your loss and maybe they will go to the neighbors house and check out what they are using for pest control.
Its not right, not fair or safe for other innocent animals to get sick or killed.
The Animal Control Officer may suggest a safer way of pest control, so other animals are not affected.
I also feel sorry for the wild birds, they are only doing what they need to do to survive.
Just reading suggestions the from others, you now have some good ideas that might help you to contain your chickens and chicks for their safety.
If you (don't) call Animal Control, you need to bag up that dead rooster and toss it in the garbage or burry it, so your chickens don't feed on the dead rooster. Maggots are protein, but the decomposing rooster carries bacteria, not good for the health of your chickens.
Good Luck my Dear and be sure to finish your schooling :)
Mama Peggy

Just got home and saw another hen has died not too far from the decaying Rooster.
But I'm happy to say that My rooster who I grew up has recovered(probably), he's showing no more signs, symptoms or anything anymore, he's drinking lots of water and eating, and same goes for the hen who was next to him, she's doing just fine(hopefully). I don't know if it'll start again later or tomorrow hopefully not.
3 hens are dead, (only 1 year old).
The baby chick looks normal and fine for now.
The other baby chicks and that are free ranging are only 1 and some days old are looking normal, but before I left I saw some of them eating the maggots from the decaying Rooster, so I think they will start to show symptoms soon but they all look fine and there mother(she has 9 chicks, which are the ones that are 1 and some days old) as well.
The hen who has 9 chicks; her sister was a victim and one of the 3 hens that died<<<she had 3 babies with her, only 2 I'm seeing now, but to me they look confuse, sad and they don't even know what to do now(i think I mentioned that already).
The other chickens looks normal and fine, I hope they don't get infected.
I'll keep updating until.
Thank you all for the words

You should also clean up any dead birds including the now very gross rooster. Trash bag and a shovel should do the trick.

Know that your remaining birds will also eat dead mice, rats and other birds.

Since you know your neighbor has some powerful poison out confining your birds is the only way to keep them safe.

I agree with @21hens-incharge work on getting the dead birds cleaned up. If your chickens are ingesting the maggots and dead/rotting flesh, that's a recipe for Botulism.

If there is any way you can limit where your remaining birds range at this time, that's a good idea until you can get everything cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom