Chickens are dying

I have seen some that look like they have lost some weight and the egg production has gone down to none a day and they act like they want more feed

sounds like worms - have you wormed this year?​

How is there poop look like, if they lost weight and acting hungry even though they are eating?
there could be a few things.
first is do they ahve excess to water all day?
second how does there poop look? foamy, watery, bloody? any of those?
third how are there crops? huge and hard, huge smoshy, or normal?

one thing to look up is Worms.
and Meraks, meraks is the only thing i can think of that will drop them that fast.

yes they do have excess to water all day and there poop is watery some times and I don't know what the crop is, and what is meraks

Quote:
i think you dont need to worry about mareks, Mareks is a bad disease in poultry is spreadable and fatal on poultry, its like the cancer of chickens.
i think you have a worm promblem going on in your flock and really bad.

You should go get some dewormer for them now.

Last edited:
Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
8) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

with this information we might be in a better position to help you.

ok will do and it has been very cold here all week long and last night i locked them in there coop and i didn't lose one today would that have anything to with it also

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - red sex link, 1 1/2 years, 8 to 10 pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly. - normal in the day and at night and then the next day dead

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - only the one where its head was gone

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? - the cold is what i am thinking

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - egg layer and water

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - i seen some runny and normal and sometimes i have seen some that is bright brown

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - last night i locked them in there coop and i didn't lose one

8) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - treat myself

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - i don't have a picture at this time

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use - wooden coop with a light in it and there is hay on the ground

I have seen a couple of hens that have not been looking good and put them is there own cage with a heat lamp and they seem to be doing a little better

it hasn't been wet but windy yes and only a couple that i have seen have been staying out of the coop at night and they are about 4 months old and none of them have died

I have seen weasels and other animals come in and kill birds by just breaking their necks and nothing else I would say with one of their heads gone and you not losing any when you locked the coop that you have a predator problem. I would say just keep locking the coop and see if you lose anymore. Do they have free access to feed all day you said they acted as if they wanted more?

Good Luck,
Henry

Back
Top Bottom