Chickens are fighting! Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StaceyChickFarm, Oct 5, 2012.

1. StaceyChickFarm

StaceyChickFarm New Egg

Jun 20, 2012
    Reno, Nevada
    So, we started out with 9 chickens (one of which is a rooster). One of our hens decided to start a little family of her own and 3 chicks have since hatched. We've kept them in the coop but we've separated them from the rest of the chickens. While our hen mamma was sitting on her eggs we notice the other chickens picking on her and her comb was bloody, another reason to keep her and the now chicks separate and safe.

The chicks are about a month old and we have slowly tried to see how the other chickens would interact with the mamma and the new chicks. The chicks seem to be fine but the other chickens keep picking on and chasing after mamma. What should I do? Will they resolve this on their own. She is totally being bullied and I don't want her to get hurt. The mamma doesn't seem to be starting any fights, it's mostly the other ones going after her, but perhaps she is just being protective of her chicks and the other ones don't like it? Any advise?

Stacey

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They're sorting out the pecking order [hierarchy of dominance]. Once everyone knows where they fit in the order they'll stop. Rarely results in any serious injury.

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    If you have the time and are concerned, I've found that it works well to only let the flocks be together when they're under supervision. After a while the bossy chickens get tired of you chewing them out and have meanwhile figured it out and then they can all be together comfortably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by