Chickens are gone!

Pics
Today I went out to one of my coops and noticed the door wide open and feathers everywhere. The chickens (my sweet little silkies) were gone. The rooster was dead, I assume trying to protect his girls, but there were no teeth marks, blood, etc to be found! I’m assuming a predator got in, and I’m heartbroken, but what should I do?!
Coons could have easily gotten in that lousy lock(no offense) but they couldn't have caught a lot of the chickens or carried them off. Some of the chickens got away after the fox got the door open but the fox caught and carried some off and came back for the rest. The rooster didn't have a scratch so he probably had a heart attack.

Coons could have easily gotten in that lousy lock(no offense) but they couldn't have caught a lot of the chickens or carried them off. Some of the chickens got away after the fox got the door open but the fox caught and carried some off and came back for the rest. The rooster didn't have a scratch so he probably had a heart attack.
That is what my conclusion was too. I figured the rooster died out of stress, and since then I have replaced the lock and rebuilt the run

The thought of walking into a coop full of feathers and chickens missing scared me bad enough to make me add a 2nd hasp to my own. We learn from our own and each others mistakes. Lord knows I make enough! Hope you and your hens are better now!

Back
Top Bottom