Chickens are gone!

A fox got one of my chickens today, I saw it run away through the window. Crazily, I was able to run fast enough to scare the fox away when I screamed “let it go!” She dropped my hen, who is thankfully still alive, and bolted. I feel so lucky! Anywho, anybody know how to care for an injured hen? She has two semi-deep cuts that I am able to see, both of which are bleeders. Also, almost all the feathers from one of her wings are gone and she lost quite a bit of feathers. So far I washed the wounds with a damp paper towel, put a chicken saddle on her to account for the major feather loss, and put her in a “cage” in my coop so she can see her friends but not be injured further.

A fox got one of my chickens today, I saw it run away through the window. Crazily, I was able to run fast enough to scare the fox away when I screamed “let it go!” She dropped my hen, who is thankfully still alive, and bolted. I feel so lucky! Anywho, anybody know how to care for an injured hen? She has two semi-deep cuts that I am able to see, both of which are bleeders. Also, almost all the feathers from one of her wings are gone and she lost quite a bit of feathers. So far I washed the wounds with a damp paper towel, put a chicken saddle on her to account for the major feather loss, and put her in a “cage” in my coop so she can see her friends but not be injured further.
She’s also looking drowsy And doesn’t want to eat or drink... any tips?

I baited some live traps and let the fox take the bait that had killed one of my birds. When it got used to going in the trap I set thetraps and caught it. I eliminated the ones I caught but if you can't eliminate it, you might be able to contact a wildlife rehab and they will take it.

I baited some live traps and let the fox take the bait that had killed one of my birds. When it got used to going in the trap I set thetraps and caught it. I eliminated the ones I caught but if you can't eliminate it, you might be able to contact a wildlife rehab and they will take it.
What should I use for bait?

I've had the Rottentoo for 10 years now. I got him as a rescue. Ive been told we argue like an old married couple and you know it's bad when the bird can finish sentences for you. He's my best buddy and while we have some rough days, there are still a lot of great days where he is behaving or being mischevious, ill swat him with a pool noodle, he'll sneak up nip my toe and run off back to his cage laughing and Ill come running back at him swinging a hoo hoo from inside a paper towel roll yellin Im gonna BEAT you and he will run into the cage grab the cage door with his beak and slam it closed and laugh and squeal like a kid. He'll venture out and on top of the cage and Ill run up, grab his tail lift it straight in the air and smack his ass with the cardboard tube and he'll literally dance around the top of the cage shaking his wings with his crest up warbling and being a brat. After a while, a few hours, we both calm down and he will then just climb up, get in my lap or peferrably the crook of my arm and Ill pet him and he will spread his wings and preen and nuzzle under my arm or hand and just relax there for hours if I let him. Ive learned that you dont want to give him too much 'personal time' like that because he can get over demanding or bratty, especially when it's time to goto bed. So half hour to an hour tops on the heavy snuggle time for him.

Everyday is an adventure in avian land over here....

Aaron
This is the best post I have read all day 😂👌🏽❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom