Chickens are harder than I expected!

Kaiah

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hey guys! I’m new to chicken care and ownership. I share a flock of twenty eight egg hen pullets, 5 bantam chicks, and twenty five meat chicks with the family i live with, but I’m in charge of a decent portion of their care and definately their health. It’s been a doozie with one pullet nearly getting pecked to death before I separated her, (she’s recovering and chilling with the meat chicks now) a speckled Sussex with a sour crop (I believe. I posted about her in another thread, still working on that one) one single, very random, out of nowhere pullet death and about three chick deaths from different batches that made me sad. Like jeez!
Other than that I love my girls! They have a massive coop and since they’re still young, they have a fenced in turn out that they can explore. When they’re bigger, they will have the whole orchard to roam!

Other than the chickens, I’m an avid writer, artist, horse and goat all around animal lover, and live on a hobby farm in Idaho! When I was a kid I had an account on here because I was hoping to get chickens in my backyard in CA, but when I found out that it was illegal, I got a dog instead. Now that I have chickens it’s crazy and sorta stressful (and I can’t seem to get them to like me lol) but I wouldn’t give it up because I love watching and caring for these little hens.

Oh! And one more question, when will I find out if any of them are roosters? We’re desperately hopping for at least one, and three of the older pullets/cockerels are straight run from a neighbor.

Hello and Welcome. Early sexing is for experts only and can't be done with your average photo. Depending on the breed you could be waiting a month or so. It's not only about the color or look, it's about behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if the one pecking on that one chicken was done by a roo.
Maybe you are having a hard time because your flock is too big for one person to deal with. It's difficult to diagnose issues with such a big flock. Maybe you can sell a few and downsize at least until you get more experience.
I'm always trying to help the birds stay happy because they can't speak for themselves.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom