Chickens are losing their neck feathers! (not molting)

Do you know if your chickens are at the molt age? It's 18 month for the first big one and yearly thereafter. Of course chicks will have mini-molts during their first year too. If you create a dust-bathing area in your yard or run for the chickens they will use it on their own. Mix some dirt, sand, a little wood ash from the fireplace and that's it. It can be a dug out area or in a container like a kiddie pool.

Yes, they are of molt age (we inherited them with the house when we bought it which made me ecstatic!). Do they all do it at the same time? We went ahead and did an extra thorough cleaning job of the coop and food area. We did find mice dropping in the food so we threw it out and then I noticed there was lawn fertilizer on the patio. I don't know if either of those things can cause issues. I do know that all 3 of our chickens are losing their feathers and have some bald spots.

Hi, could be feather picking in which case you should watch them to see which chickens are doing this. If the skin on the face is dry and crusty, then it could be Scaly Face Mite, in which case you will need to treat it. Scaly Face Mite can affect the eyes, they can become sticky and can get stuck closed.

Not really, some are better than others, but I believe all of them are losing neck feathers, and I thought that at first as well, but wouldn't there be holes, and blood spots in the skin if they were being torn out, the skin looks pretty healthy minus the fact there are no feathers, also the roosters are dominant and keep things in line and never harm each other and they are missing feathers as well.
Ive had this problem for a while now and it seems that only my big Austrolorp rooster has this problem, but when i checked yesterday there were more missing feathers and i could practically see what was through his skin - his skin was almost see throught and i could see the oesophagus.

Quote:
Are you seeing his feathers on the ground? If so, it's most likely molt, maybe feather lice. If not, the other birds are picking out his feathers and eating them. This would indicate a shortage of protein in their diet. You can give them gamebird feed for a month or so, then wean them back to layer feed.

Are you seeing his feathers on the ground? If so, it's most likely molt, maybe feather lice. If not, the other birds are picking out his feathers and eating them. This would indicate a shortage of protein in their diet. You can give them gamebird feed for a month or so, then wean them back to layer feed.
thanks,
will the feathers ever grow again or will he just look like that

The feathers will grow back eventually. You need to pick your rooster up and visually inspect him for lice/mites, especially around his vent area.
and so what do i do it there are lice or mites i use soe Diatomasious earth on some of my other animals will that help, ive seen people use it before but i wasnt sure

Quote:
Pick him up and inspect him closely for external parasites. No treatment is necessary if he doesnt have any parasites on him. Feather lice are white or off white in color and you'll see them moving quickly through feathers and fluff. Mites look like pepper, are slow movers or dont move at all. Again, check the vent area closely. Use Sevin dust IF you see any, then repeat dusting him again in 7-10 days. You'll have to dust inside their house including roost and nests also. Sevin dust is cheaper and more effective than DE.

Back
Top Bottom