Chickens are my new obsession

Heather from Florida

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2020
My thirteen-year old son and I finally realized our dream of owning backyard chickens when his high school and the college where I teach switched to remote learning last the spring. We've definitely learned a lot since April! During the first four months, we lost a chick to illness, two chicks to our tiny miniature schnauzer who apparently has mad--and previously undiscovered--hunting skills, six pullets to a predator--possum or raccoon, we aren't sure which--and a pullet and rooster to a neighbor's dog. With each loss, we added more security and tried again. And again. And again. (I need to stop going to the feed store!) We have two bantams, a Polish and an Old English Game Hen, that are 7 months old; two Brown Leghorns and two Rhode Island Reds that are 6 1/2 months old; and two Rhode Island Reds and three White Leghorns that are 2 1/2 months old. Of the six older birds, four have been laying for about a month. The OEG has turned out to be our most prolific layer, giving us a lovely little cream-colored egg nearly every day! Both Brown Leghorns and one RIR are also laying; the other RIR and the Polish are late bloomers. Our current challenge is integrating the younger birds into the flock. Raising chickens is my new obsession!

My thirteen-year old son and I finally realized our dream of owning backyard chickens when his high school and the college where I teach switched to remote learning last the spring. We've definitely learned a lot since April! During the first four months, we lost a chick to illness, two chicks to our tiny miniature schnauzer who apparently has mad--and previously undiscovered--hunting skills, six pullets to a predator--possum or raccoon, we aren't sure which--and a pullet and rooster to a neighbor's dog. With each loss, we added more security and tried again. And again. And again. (I need to stop going to the feed store!) We have two bantams, a Polish and an Old English Game Hen, that are 7 months old; two Brown Leghorns and two Rhode Island Reds that are 6 1/2 months old; and two Rhode Island Reds and three White Leghorns that are 2 1/2 months old. Of the six older birds, four have been laying for about a month. The OEG has turned out to be our most prolific layer, giving us a lovely little cream-colored egg nearly every day! Both Brown Leghorns and one RIR are also laying; the other RIR and the Polish are late bloomers. Our current challenge is integrating the younger birds into the flock. Raising chickens is my new obsession!

Attachments

• welcome2.jpg
    welcome2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom