chickens are not allowed in Worcester,MA

duprasi

Hatching
9 Years
May 21, 2010
I called the Worcester zoning department and asked if chickens were allowed in Worcester, MA and she said no. Then I went on backyardchickens. com and they said that chickens are allowed in Worcester,MA Where does backyardchickens get the info from? This women was a Animal Control officer in Worcester, I think she would know.

That sucks.. i feel for ya.
sad.png

I'd still get them on the sly...
hide.gif

I warned my neighbors that I wanted chickens and was given the go ahead. I was warned about getting a Rooster that didn't have laryngitis. I guess the big thing is not annoying the neighbors, if they don't call, the law doesn't care.
Then I found out I am zoned Agriculture and they can't do anything anyways.

Hey i am in leicester ma and have chickens, so does my neighbors. i live near the boarder of worcester and have heard of people owning chickens in worcester.

Hey, I used to buy my poultry feed in Leicester! Is there still a feedstore/Agway there?

duprasi,
In Massachusetts, the municipal Animal Control Officer is in charge of keeping what's called a barn book - a census of all livestock and poultry kept in the city/town. He or she is required by the state to make an annual visit to every location where livestock/poultry is kept, inspect the facilities, take a head count, and report the information to the state dept. of agricultural resources, which in turn makes the information available to the USDA. So, the Animal Control Officer should know whether chickens are allowed or not, since he/she is responsible for the barn book.

However, if you want to make sure, then check with the City Clerk for ordinances on livestock and poultry. You can also ask at the health/sanitation department and even the zoning board. Any ordinances will be in the city code book.

If Worcester doesn't allow chickens, then you could move to Leicester or Spencer where there are lots of chickens, horses, etc. Or come east here to Salem, where we don't have any livestock-poultry ordinances and you can have anything as long as you keep it clean and the neighbors don't complain about noise.

Hey i am in leicester ma and have chickens, so does my neighbors. i live near the boarder of worcester and have heard of people owning chickens in worcester.
Its so weird to see a Leicester in America! I was born in the UK Leicester and now live in Kettering and I found there is a Kettering in the US a well how weird can it get?

Cool Leicester! About 30 minutes from me! :)
Is the drive in still open? I still need to get out there this summer one time..

Back
Top Bottom