Chickens are Sleeping WHILST STANDING???

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Hi guys

ive got this new coop for my 2 hens...
15198_phpdipg9xam.jpg

upstairs on the top floor, there is a separate compartment for 2 chickens.

however, this is the first day ive put them in...

they actually could share together and both are inside...however when i went up to it at night with a torch...

i saw them both STANDING...
i did supply plenty of straws for it to roost.

unless it was nervous and heard grass rustling while i was walking up to the coop and it stood up as a natrual precaution?...

but does anyones have any hens that actually roost whilst standing?

if so...coudl this be comfortable?

I tried sneaking a peek at my chickens and i think they are light sleepers. I had the flashlight aimed the other way enough so i could make out their shadows and i would say 1/3rd of them were standing and the rest were hiding behind them. when i gave them their new house after being in the "box", they didn't know how to react for a few days. Ya might have just spooked them. I saw a pic recently of a rooster standing up with it's head on the ground sleeping!!
lau.gif
That is a really cool walkway you have!! love the coop too!!
welcome-byc.gif

Chickens will sleep anyhow. If these girls are young, then they may not feel secure enough to perch, or possibly something spooked them and they decided to sleep on the floor.
I have one bird that sleeps on the top of the nest box, its no big deal as long as they get some sleep. Perhaps they need to be placed on the perches to see they are safe/can get down from there.

Good luck and I wouldn't worry- hard telling what my 5 do at night- LOL play cards and drink all night seeings the hen house looks like they've lost all their feathers in a brawl (moult).

omelette'smom :

I tried sneaking a peek at my chickens and i think they are light sleepers. I had the flashlight aimed the other way enough so i could make out their shadows and i would say 1/3rd of them were standing and the rest were hiding behind them. when i gave them their new house after being in the "box", they didn't know how to react for a few days. Ya might have just spooked them. I saw a pic recently of a rooster standing up with it's head on the ground sleeping!!
lau.gif
That is a really cool walkway you have!! love the coop too!!
welcome-byc.gif

hmmm another problem arised.

this is what happend, the 2 hens i have, one older and the other younger.

i suggested to put the younger one in since the old one was too dominant so i was fearing that they wouldnt share.

its been a week since the young hen has settled in the top floor.

as i said, there are 2 nesting boxes to accomdate 2 hens.

however, since the old one got introduced into the coop... the younger hen doesnt want to go in there anymore...i found it sleeping on the ramp.

hmmm what can i do, i spent ALOT of money on this coop...(alot in comparison to my budget) and i want them both in there.

sad.png
i tried picking it up and putting it in the top but it keeps runing back out and sleeping on the ramp, anyone have suggestions?
sad.png

tonight what ive done, at the top of the ramp there is a door, ive closed it off so maybe it can get used to sleeping in there...
and then re-open it tomorrow... maybe do it for a week and see,....​

It sounds like you're doing the right thing but don't be suprised to find she's been pecked because she can't get away.

Quote:
First of all...beautiful coop! Wow.

Second...I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like you are saying there are two nest boxes on the top floor, and this is where you want them to sleep. Is that right?

Nest boxes are normally for laying eggs, not sleeping - otherwise you can get poopy eggs.

Most chickens, by nature, will sleep either on the floor or on a roost above the floor. Our roost is a 2x4 about 4 feet off the ground. If there isn't a roost inside the coop, the ramp may be the closest thing to a roost your younger hen can find.

Quote:
First of all...beautiful coop! Wow.

Second...I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like you are saying there are two nest boxes on the top floor, and this is where you want them to sleep. Is that right?

Nest boxes are normally for laying eggs, not sleeping - otherwise you can get poopy eggs.

Most chickens, by nature, will sleep either on the floor or on a roost above the floor. Our roost is a 2x4 about 4 feet off the ground. If there isn't a roost inside the coop, the ramp may be the closest thing to a roost your younger hen can find.

well what i meant was, a nesting/roosting box
ive kinda them both in one sorta thing. ive made 2 roosting areas on the top floor is a bunch of straw made into a nest shape and a fake egg on each side.

well today it seem a bit of a success...they are both in there... the older one is on sitting on a nest sleeping and the younger one...isnt really on the other nest i made but in the centre of the room... oh well im guessing i cant do any better than that.....

newchickenfamily
Wow, nice coop!! Did you make it yourself? If not, where did you find it? What brand, etc....?

nah i didnt make it...i bought it and ive made a small tent over it to minimise a bit of weather to the coop and block out a bit of rain and sun. and around the tented area, ive wired/fenced it off...extending the run, as alot of people have told me the run area on ground floor may not be big enough for them. ill post some pics

the name of the coop is 'Bon Fido'...
u can see them sold online​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom