Chickens are sneezing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sushicat2000, Nov 11, 2012.

1. sushicat2000

sushicat2000 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    One of my chickens is sneezing! She has been sneezing for a while now, maybe a week or more. She and her sisters are 8 weeks old. Others seem to be sneezing a little, although not as much as this girl. There are no other symptoms, but sometimes she shakes her head, or stands and looks off into the distance, like she's in a trance for a few seconds, which is probably normal. Please help! I'm worried about them!

2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Could possibly be gape worm. It's hard but you can put a Q-tip down her throat and see if red comes up. Could also just be the time if years... I would try the Q-tip and if you have worms you need to de-worm them. If its not worms go get some electrolytes to put in their water. The one that's really sneezing should be ok to stay in the coop unless its getting worse and turning into pneamonia the. Take her inside to keep warm

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be something environmental causing the sneezing/head shaking such as; feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, pollen, DE, etc...these problems can be corrected or eliminated.
    It could also possibly be the onset of a respiratory problem. It's not gapeworm.

1 person likes this.
  4. sushicat2000

sushicat2000 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Thank you so much! I was so worried before. I'll try to figure out if it's dust or something bothering her. If it is respiratory disease, what can I do for her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by