Chickens are so weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blisschick, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a Serama that hatched out 2 Serama x Cochin babies last week, both black. I've been having a really rotten incubator hatch the past couple of days, so I decided that maybe she'd want to take the three that have already hatched--a black mix, a buff laced polish, and a BLRW. I put the babies in with her, and immediately she puffs up and starts trying to peck the polish and the BLRW. I took them both out and stuck them back in the incubator. She doesn't mind the little black one, because it looks like her other babies, and is acting like nothing is new, like the third baby has always been there. [​IMG]

I think it may be because her little pea brain knows that her babies are black, and so therefore the number of babies doesn't matter, as long as they're black. I'd loved to have about 10 more and put them in with her just to see what she would have done! [​IMG] I could see her doing this: [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Hey at least she knows the color of her babies.... she might not be smart enough to COUNT but she's got a system and it works for her! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Quote:I can just see her little 5 watt light bulb coming on:

"Hey wait a minute...did I have this many before? Ah, nevermind..."

4. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Should of put them in with her at nite.( wouldn't have been the first lady to wake up in the morning with that oh what have I donefeeling [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by