Chickens are "Waterer Cup Challenged!"

pomaranj

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
I installed an automatic waterer system with those red cups installed to a PVC, which is ran from a regulator and my garden hose. I love this system as i don't have to fill the waterer every other day, however, my chickens don't seem to grasp the whole "pecking of the yellow arm inside the cup to fill back with water" thing...

has anybody else come across this challenge? Will they just "get it" after a while???

I will sometimes hit the yellow arm for them, just to fill the cups back up with water...

I would hit the yellow arm while they're watching you, to help teach them. Use a finger to imitate pecking at it, tapping it to make a little noise and get their attention. Then push at it to make the water flow.

Mine are pretty smart about watching me, when I show them new things. I often tap on new things they're wary of, like they tap on new things with their beaks, to show them it's safe. Showing them how to use the little lever is very similar.

Check your cups to see if there is water in the bottom near the yellow arm if there is there working and the chickens are using them. the cups will only fill all the way up if you hold the valve open long enough for it to fill which would put your chickens head under water.As long as there is a half inch of water in the cup they can get all the water they need and sticking their beak in the water will open the valve to allow more water in but not fill the cup unless you have a chicken that likes to hold the valve until its whole beak is underwater.Just watch your chickens they only stick the end of their beak into the water. If the cup is full they won't touch the valve till they almost empty the cup and won't fill it back up.

Back
Top Bottom