Chickens are Yawning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sundancenbare, Apr 20, 2012.

1. sundancenbare

sundancenbare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    I have two hens that are suddenly yawning all the time. I am not sue if that is normal ir if it is something I should be concerned about. It has been very rainy and cold here and then jumps up to 70 degrees so the weather could possibly be a factor. Can anyone tell me what this is?I feed 18% laying crumbles mixed with oyster shells and diatamicious earth and they free range most of day in my back yard. they get scratch as well

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have they been wormed lately?

3. sundancenbare

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    just with DE I am going to feed store tomorrow and get some wormer. Any suggestions on what kind of wormer to buy

4. Klwright1122

Klwright1122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    Code:

. Valbazen. It is for cattle, but works on all known worms in poultry where other wormers for poultry only work on specific worms... 1/2 cc for standard size chickens. I put it right in their mouth, I did not dilute. You have to repeat again in 10 days. You will have to toss the eggs though if they are laying up to 14 days after they take the meds. I got this advice fm another BYC'er and it worked great...!

5. sundancenbare

Apr 6, 2012
    Taylorsville Utah
    Thanks, I have a d Uncle bantam and a Americana that are yawning and this morning I noticed a chick starting. I will adjust the dose and try it

6. SelfAsylum

SelfAsylum Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Have you ever used this on chicks? Is there chick wormer and should I use that until they are standard size to use valbazen?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely there are simply adjusting their crops or trying move feed down their esophagus. They do it by yawning. Any other symptoms such as runny nostrils, bubbly eyes, wheezing, gurgling etc...I'd suspect a respiratory disease.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  8. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    I used Wazine on mine when I found out my chickens had gape worm. They were "yawning" and wheezing and had runny nostrils. I only lost 1 chicken out of 15 or so.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wazine doesnt treat gapeworm, only large roundworms. You are most likely dealing with a respiratory disease.

10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I tend to agree. Mine do this off and on, after eating a bunch. More so since they moved outside and are eating things other than chick crumbles. Nothing appears to be wrong with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by