Chickens at night coop

I still have to go out there and put them in but they don't come back out. I tried the flashlight theory and that seems to freak them out. I did notice that when I put them in and close both windows, they seemed calmer. Tonight I will wait to see if they go in on their own after their frantic cries for mom. Lol it breaks my heart. No I didn't do the cage thing but I should have. I did the heat lamp and they were without it for three days before I put them outside full time. They did spend most of their daytime outside in the run though so they were used to it.

Lazy ... it is quite funny looking back on it .. but you learn everyday.... you have to try think like a chicken ... in other words ...dispose of your brain !!!

Crooked ... no run ... free range ..ps i'm in South Africa... I got a door on the coop and used it for about 6 months ... ushered them in every night etc ..but on occasion forgot ... saw that they knew what to do ..so left them to their own devices ... got an electric fence around 7000 sq meters and as yet only had the one incident in 2,5 years ...neighbours dog got inside the fencing (might have been a gate left open)..killed a few hens during daylight hours .. but have upgraded security a little more now!... (got ir sensors and lasers that trigger lights around the coop etc ...) The only thing i do now is fill the feeders every so often ... give them veg everyday when they que outside the back door at exactly 3 o'clock ...pick up eggs at 4 and kick some butt when they enter the house !

Lazy ... it is quite funny looking back on it .. but you learn everyday.... you have to try think like a chicken ... in other words ...dispose of your brain !!!

Crooked ... no run ... free range ..ps i'm in South Africa... I got a door on the coop and used it for about 6 months ... ushered them in every night etc ..but on occasion forgot ... saw that they knew what to do ..so left them to their own devices ... got an electric fence around 7000 sq meters and as yet only had the one incident in 2,5 years ...neighbours dog got inside the fencing (might have been a gate left open)..killed a few hens during daylight hours .. but have upgraded security a little more now!... (got ir sensors and lasers that trigger lights around the coop etc ...) The only thing i do now is fill the feeders every so often ... give them veg everyday when they que outside the back door at exactly 3 o'clock ...pick up eggs at 4 and kick some butt when they enter the house !
I’m happy to announce that as of night four outside, my girls put themselves in their room(coop) at night.

someone once told me that when you first move your birds from brooder to coop, you put them in and make them stay in there a day or so, so they get to know their new space is home..
i attached a little fence at the bottom of the ramp so they didn't have much options.. they took to the coop quickly.. my girls know the coop is their safe place..

I didn’t even go that far. I put them in the first few nights and then they did t on their own. I was surprised. I’ve never locked them in. They took to it on their own. Now I’m looking to add a rooster to the bunch of six girls that are a month and a half old. The rooster I’m getting, I know is healthy and is almost a year old.

Tane congrats ... just added another 5 sussex to my flock that i bought at great expense ... got them 7am and locked them in till pm ... at which time i let them out just to stretch their legs and waited for the entire flock to go settle down ... everything went as expected .. barring a few brawls (hens included) .... Just got my bigger coop finished ... now to get them to move over ...uuuurrrrgggg!

Tane congrats ... just added another 5 sussex to my flock that i bought at great expense ... got them 7am and locked them in till pm ... at which time i let them out just to stretch their legs and waited for the entire flock to go settle down ... everything went as expected .. barring a few brawls (hens included) .... Just got my bigger coop finished ... now to get them to move over ...uuuurrrrgggg!
We are still working on the bigger run but it’s been raining for what seems like a few months but it’s only been a week.

We are still working on the bigger run but it’s been raining for what seems like a few months but it’s only been a week.
I’m trying to find someplace out here that sells chicks older than baby’s cause I’m about done with the baby thing unless it’s from a hen that is already here.

Back
Top Bottom