Chickens atcting very odd

andy 476562

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
Hey there,
My red shaver is nearly 1 and has been acting abit strange, she was fine yesterday but today she keeps moving neck her in an odd way, mainly when she has just eaten.she isn't eating or drinking much.I have attached a video of her in action, can someone can help??

She looks like she is trying to adjust her crop, doesn't she? Where approximately are you located in this world? There is a helper I would like to tag but it is 1:00 am where I am. I will tag her but she may not respond until morning. She may want to know things like, how old is the bird? What do you feed including treats? What kind of bedding is she on? Is there an odor to her beak (bad breath)? Can you separate her tonight and feel her crop first thing in the morning before she has access to food or water, and describe how it feels? Flat and empty, full or partially full, mushy, doughy, gritty, stringy, etc. She may ask more but that will do for a start. I must go now but hopefully @Eggcessive will advise you in the morning. Good luck.

Thanks for your help,
I'm in nz and is the evening now, I will get up early tomorrow and see whats going on.
She is nearly 1 year old
Type of feed- layer pellets
Treats -mainly soft weeds from the garden

Thanks again for your help

The treats may be the problem, if they are ling, soft grasses. You could be dealing with an impacted crop. But I can't tell you how to fix it. The helper I tagged can, though. Good night and good luck! 😊

Hey there,
My red shaver is nearly 1 and has been acting abit strange, she was fine yesterday but today she keeps moving neck her in an odd way, mainly when she has just eaten.she isn't eating or drinking much.I have attached a video of her in action, can someone can help??

Hi. I’m far from an expert on chickens, but to my eye, the hen appears to be struggling with some sort of obstruction in her esophagus. If she were one of mine, I would take her to a Vet ASAP. Good luck!

Hi. I’m far from an expert on chickens, but to my eye, the hen appears to be struggling with some sort of obstruction in her esophagus. If she were one of mine, I would take her to a Vet ASAP. Good luck!

Yeah, I think she’s definitely swallowed a foreign body, and it’s lodged in her esophagus, so she can’t eat or drink well around it. Vet ASAP please. Keep us posted please!

Back
Top Bottom