Chickens Ate Fire Ant Poison

Here's some of the purge recipies from Mississippi State.

If it helps the same thing was posted in the spring, and the chickens were fine the next day.

Imp-Hope the are OK.

LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS

The following solutions or mixtures are recommended to flush the digestive system of toxic substances, most notably for treating birds exposed to botulism toxins.

Molasses Solution

Add one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water

Offer the drinking solution free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period.

Epsom Salt Solution

1 lb Epsom Salt per 15 lb feed
-or-
1 lb Epsom Salt per 5 gallons water for 1 day

Give the epson salt feed mixture as the sole feed source for a one day period. This feed can be used only if the birds are eating. If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with:

1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water

Place the solution in the crop of the affected bird. This same amount of solution will treat 5-8 quail or one chicken.

Castor Oil Therapy

Dose individual birds with .5 oz castor oil.

The chickens are okay. I think if they were going to get sick they would have shown some symptoms by now. I do think it will be a good idea to not eat the eggs for awhile. Maybe 21 days at least? That's how long we waited when we treated them for worms a couple years ago.
Thanks for the recipes for purging, just in case any of us ever need them in the future!

I'm relieved for you. It's hard for me to understand how I've become so attached to my chickens in only 14 weeks. I can imagine what an awful night you had worrying about them.

Back
Top Bottom