Chickens ate silicone

nicandjim0315

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2022
Not sure which thread this should go on. But my chickens have been pecking at silicone used to seal my basement window. Pretty sure they all are some and I can't remove it all. Is it going to kill them?

From a material perspective, if it is fully cured and not in too big chunks, I think it should pass right through. I'm assuming it's something similar to the silicone used to seal fish tanks. Do you know exactly which product was used? If it happened to my chickens I'd just make sure they have access to grit and hope for the best... Hope to hear from others this has actually happened to.

I had a similar experience - I caulked some holes in the chicken coop roof at around 5pm after locking up the chickens so they don't get in contact with the stuff before it dries. However it hadn't fully dried/hardened completely the following morning and I saw the girls pecking and swallowing them. That was 2 months ago and they're still looking very healthy and laying plenty of eggs. So I guess the short answer is "no" but if you can prevent them from doing it again it'll prevent possible gut blockages and accumulative poisoning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom