1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens ate styrofoam insulation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jseraphine, Sep 28, 2015.

1. jseraphine

jseraphine New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Hi. My hens ate some Styrofoam insulation accidentally dropped from a construction project. How long should I wait to eat the eggs that were tainted from that? Thanks for any help.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

I don't think the eggs will be 'tainted'....but it could cause and crop or intestinal impaction.
    I'd keep them confined and keep a close eye on their crops and droppings for a few days.
    Pull thier feed at night then check crops early in the morning to make sure they are empty.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

The eggs will not be effected by eating styrofoam. It is the drugs and chemicals that you use for worming, bacterial and fungal infections that can get into the eggs.

I would be more concerned that this styrofoam causes an impaction somewhere from the crop, the gizzard or intestines somewhere.

Watch them carefully for the next day or so to make sure they are pooping ok and crops are empty first thing in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by