Chickens attach each other at night?

1stTimeChicken

Chirping
May 4, 2019
Our flock of chickens has had some strange behavior two nights ago. We heard loud chicken noises in the middle of the night, went out and two of them I trying to get out of the enclosure. No sign of any predators around. The next morning our smallest and lowest bird was just sitting there quietly. When we checked her, she looked like she had been pecked on by another bird. There were down feathers and 5 pin feathers on the ground. Either way, we separated her immediately so she wouldn't be pecked on again.
Today, we noticed that one of her eyes doesn't quite look right. The swelling from the pecks has gone down, but the eye still seems watery and the pupil looks quite large.
Will this straighten itself out? Also, I can't keep her alone forever, how to I get her back with the flock without being hurt or even killed?

There are a total of 6 chickens in this flock with plenty of space, food and water. (Plus special treats of dandelion leaves and things).
Why would they start turning on each other when they're sleeping? This seem very weird to me.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Our flock of chickens has had some strange behavior two nights ago. We heard loud chicken noises in the middle of the night, went out and two of them I trying to get out of the enclosure. No sign of any predators around. The next morning our smallest and lowest bird was just sitting there quietly. When we checked her, she looked like she had been pecked on by another bird. There were down feathers and 5 pin feathers on the ground. Either way, we separated her immediately so she wouldn't be pecked on again.
Today, we noticed that one of her eyes doesn't quite look right. The swelling from the pecks has gone down, but the eye still seems watery and the pupil looks quite large.
Will this straighten itself out? Also, I can't keep her alone forever, how to I get her back with the flock without being hurt or even killed?

There are a total of 6 chickens in this flock with plenty of space, food and water. (Plus special treats of dandelion leaves and things).
Why would they start turning on each other when they're sleeping? This seem very weird to me.

Thank you in advance for any insight.
I would separate until her eye looks better. you can maybe try and put her on the roost at night when it’s completely dark. Chickens can’t see very well in the dark so when they wake up they’ll jsut think she’s been there, you can try that too

They can squabble about roosting space at bedtime-deciding who gets to sleep where and booting lower order birds off choice resting spots. It usually happens when you change something in the coop or get new birds. How long have these birds been together?

How old are they? Can you post some pictures of the affected eye? You can try crating her in the run, they can still see her that way, and she can see them, but will be safe.
Any possibility that a predator was around the coop? That can cause mass panic. If you have a game camera, set it up and see if something is coming around.
You may have a bully, or there may be more going on with this bird causing the flock to attack it. If it's sick or weak in some way, it may not be obvious to you, but the birds will know. It's survival instinct to drive a sick or weak member from the flock so that predators are not attracted.

They can squabble about roosting space at bedtime-deciding who gets to sleep where and booting lower order birds off choice resting spots. It usually happens when you change something in the coop or get new birds. How long have these birds been together?
These girls have been together since they were itty-bitty chickies. Other than the weather, nothing has changed. They're all at varies stages of molt though.

Back
Top Bottom