Chickens being dumped off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by notsooldmcdonald, Feb 23, 2009.

1. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    I just finished reading the post about the chicken someone found in the woods (near a pile of three other dead chickens). Very strangely enough, I got a call from a friend yesterday (because I'm the one person she knows who has chickens) saying that a chicken had randomly showed up at her son's house and no one around them had chickens, what did I suggest. Well, they didn't want the chicken and it was really snowing, so we went to get her. She's currently in my 'hospital', SUPER thin, SUPER hungry, and pretty pale. She's eating and drinking well though and her poop looks good.

But, what's the deal with the random chickens lately? I know she didn't fall off a truck, because this was a dirt back road...no nearby farms, and the people who called me know their neighbors pretty well. Who the heck would just toss out a chicken?

Bizzare.

Good luck to everyone with rescued chickens!
    -Christian

2. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    That is very strang. You are a good person for taking on another one.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It is sad, and thank you for doing the right thing. It happens here occasionally, sometimes an accident involving a truck or mis-loaded cages. Once I heard that people selling a hobby farm couldn't find a buyer who wanted them so they abandoned them. Totally cruel. Usually if someone is keeping free-rangers they will take a few, is asked. Normal outcome here is predation.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    We had someone dump a bantam last summer across the street in a little camping area. He avoided all predators for 3 weeks. We got $1.25 for him at auction! Bio-security!

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Some people just dump their chickens when winter comes. Sad but true.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's like everything else...disposability.
    thanks for taking the bird in.

7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i found a dumped chicken on my way home from work in a snow and ice storm, she's doing great now, i have a place where i take my extra roosters from time to time, it's a trashy place where everyone looks the same LOL! but they take them with no problem, there's like a hundred running around the junk, they are all well fed, first time i went up to that place a cow was standing on the road no big deal!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by