Chickens born this March are molting their adult coats. Everyone under a year quit laying.

SarahLadd

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Is it not unusual for birds under a year old to be molting their adult coats like this? They're shedding breast and lower back feathers like crazy, but they only just finished these feathers a few months ago. And now they've all quit laying. What gives? I've heard I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Picture for attention.

Attachments

• 20221030_090203.jpg
    20221030_090203.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 11
Some birds molt young. If they are acting normal and are healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. My February 2021 hatches molted last year. You can check for lice/mites, too. Certainly couldn't hurt to give them a good looking over.

Unless they peck you. Then it might hurt.

Some birds molt young. If they are acting normal and are healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. My February 2021 hatches molted last year. You can check for lice/mites, too. Certainly couldn't hurt to give them a good looking over.

Unless they peck you. Then it might hurt.
They just went through treatment for mites. I gave them baths in human lice shampoo, blow dried and used elector psp. They look mites free now.

First year molts are normal for some chickens. About half of my flock went through a molt their first fall/winer. The other half waited until their second fall. Keep doing regular checks for lice and mites, but their molt is probably nothing to worry about🙂

Is it not unusual for birds under a year old to be molting their adult coats like this? They're shedding breast and lower back feathers like crazy, but they only just finished these feathers a few months ago. And now they've all quit laying. What gives? I've heard I'm not the only one experiencing it.
How old are they, in weeks or months?
How old were they when they last molted and when did they started laying?
Sometimes pullets will have a partial molt their first winter.
The mites and subsequent treatment can cause stress and lead to molt and cessation of lay.
As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK,
I'd not worry.

Picture for attention.
Do you have a YouTube channel? You look kind of familiar? Lol

Do you have a YouTube channel? You look kind of familiar? Lol
I mean, I have an account that I sometimes upload videos to. I wouldn't really call it a : channel". I own a company under my own name, as an artist, offering specialty jewelry and engraving services. I attach my face to my business so I may also be found this way

Back
Top Bottom