Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

Pics
When I encounter a wasp nest, I use a Garage wet-dry vac, with a long tube to gather them. When I think I capture most of them, I pour into intake hose about 1 ounce of gasoline. Gasoline ends up inside wet-vac tank. I leave Vac outside. Next day I open up vac, and wasps are no longer living.
If I have some wasp-hornet spray, I will spray that into vacuum hose instead of gasoline.
I never seen any of my chickens chasing wasps. I do see them chasing small moths when that are scratching in my lawn.

Still fighting with the wasps but I am getting things done. Got the vent opened up on the back (north) wall and it is ready to be covered in hardware cloth and a fascia board.

If I remember correctly … I need 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird in the coop. At present I have 5.8 sq ft per bird. That should be enough to get started with you think?

As the summer and heat progress i may have to add additional ventilation where i can.

IMG_0429.jpeg

IMG_0431.jpeg

If I remember correctly … I need 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird in the coop. At present I have 5.8 sq ft per bird. That should be enough to get started with you think?

Yep.

There are the general guidelines and then there is the empirical test of whether or not the coop is hotter inside than outside on a hot, sunny day.

Now that the coop is mostly finished, its time to start thinking about the run area. I did get all the junk cleared out of the area and the brush cut down around the trunk of the oak tree earlier. The three posts and the platform are whats left of two dog kennels from when we had Irish Wolfhounds. I think I'm going to leave them so there will be a place that is solid and level to place the feeder and water among other things. I'm sure the wife will try to turn it into a chicken amusement park before all is said and done.

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom