Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

Pics
Question on feed .... In an earlier discussion on medicated feed, I decided not to use it. Since I had already bought a 5 lb. bag of medicated, can I go ahead and feed it in the beginning and then switch to the non-medicated feed with out any problems? Or is it best to just dump the medicated feed?

Based on another earlier discussion on raising chicks, I plan on introducing some weeds and dirt from the run area they will eventually be living in. I also plan on a little dust bath for them after a couple of weeks when they are moved to the coop.

Question on feed .... In an earlier discussion on medicated feed, I decided not to use it. Since I had already bought a 5 lb. bag of medicated, can I go ahead and feed it in the beginning and then switch to the non-medicated feed with out any problems? Or is it best to just dump the medicated feed?

Based on another earlier discussion on raising chicks, I plan on introducing some weeds and dirt from the run area they will eventually be living in. I also plan on a little dust bath for them after a couple of weeks when they are moved to the coop.

Many people raise chicks with one bag of medicated feed to get them off on a good start then switch to unmedicated. As always, mix the two kinds of feed together for the last few days of transitioning one kind to another. :)

37364A12-0689-4CC0-A098-BBC4975DA044.jpeg

Ramp to the roost is complete. It’s 3 degrees steeper than the max aart quoted of 30 degrees but I hope it will be okay. Since these leghorns are light weight, small frame birds they should be able to use it if they need it.

View attachment 2646673
Ramp to the roost is complete. It’s 3 degrees steeper than the max aart quoted of 30 degrees but I hope it will be okay. Since these leghorns are light weight, small frame birds they should be able to use it if they need it.
I think you will see that they don't use ramp, and just fly up to roost. I personally would only place a half-way block or shelf for them to jump onto, first, and then onto roost from there.

Question ... Next week we are planing to introduce the chicks to some real dirt, weeds/grass and one or more items from kitchen scraps. Should I add a little "chick grit" to their feed or just sprinkle a little on the paper towels? They are learning to scratch and are making a mess out of anything not bolted down.

Question ... Next week we are planing to introduce the chicks to some real dirt, weeds/grass and one or more items from kitchen scraps. Should I add a little "chick grit" to their feed or just sprinkle a little on the paper towels? They are learning to scratch and are making a mess out of anything not bolted down.
I like to give a small chunk of sod from near the coop starting their 2nd week,
Sprinkle it with some chick sized grit.

I don't give kitchen scraps until..... well, only the adults get kitchen scraps, very rarely.
Chick crumble is best for them, don't fall prey to feeding all kinds of stuff for your own amusement, it's not really good for them(even tho they may look like they love it)

I like to give a small chunk of sod from near the coop starting their 2nd week,
Sprinkle it with some chick sized grit.

I don't give kitchen scraps until..... well, only the adults get kitchen scraps, very rarely.
Chick crumble is best for them, don't fall prey to feeding all kinds of stuff for your own amusement, it's not really good for them(even tho they may look like they love it)
Didn't think about putting the grit on the sod .....

Kitchen scraps was a bad description ... meant something like a couple of cucumber slices or something similar for them to play with ....

We are feeding chick crumbles. At the moment they are learning how to scratch and have either billed or scratched most of their feed out onto the floor where they are now merrily scratching away. Made the biggest mess :idunno

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom