Chickens Can Interbreed With At Least 13 Other Genera

Henrik Petersson

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Karlskrona, Sweden
Just imagine how many species they can intebreed with...

44938679_2203061519963807_1415159090870484992_n.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2203061516630474&set=a.1538115776458388&type=3&theater&ifg=1

To the best of my knowledge, chickens cannot successfully cross with turkeys (Meleagris) which makes me wonder how many of the other claims are false.

Perhaps there is one instance one time when such a cross was successfully made? Perhaps with another Gallus than Gallus gallus? Good point, anyway, I'd love to read the fine print of this.

Perhaps there is one instance one time when such a cross was successfully made? Perhaps with another Gallus than Gallus gallus? Good point, anyway, I'd love to read the fine print of this.
There is also evidence that Turkey's are capable of parthenogenisis. But it happens so rarely that cant be counted in a statistic either.

In most cases ia has to be performed for crossing . If the chromosomes don't match well you may get a viable but sterile animal.

someone had an accidental breeding of chicken & guinea. She didn't know till the odd chick hatched. The resulting Guin-hen was a hen and laid one egg before dying. Had the organ size of a chicken in a large Guin-hen body. Died of a heart attack young. That was pretty much foretold because it got tired easily.

Then a bunch of folks tried to repeat that on purpose:mad:

someone had an accidental breeding of chicken & guinea. She didn't know till the odd chick hatched. The resulting Guin-hen was a hen and laid one egg before dying. Had the organ size of a chicken in a large Guin-hen body. Died of a heart attack young. That was pretty much foretold because it got tired easily.

Then a bunch of folks tried to repeat that on purpose:mad:

It seems as if it generally doesn't go that bad: https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Guineas/BRKGuinHybrid.html

for what its worth for cross breeding guineas it has to be Chicken male to guinea Female. in order for copulation to occur. Male guineas arent built well for copulating with Chicken hens...

Like I said it happens... I couldnt say about the viability or longivity... I have seen pictures of guinea crosses of all sort.... From Peafowl to Chicken to Vulturine...

a few pictures of hybrids

deb

Back
Top Bottom