Chickens change when the moon comes out, lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haunted Chicken, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I just can't get over The change that comes over chickens when the sun goes down. I tried to bring my girls in from their temporary run at 9:15pm. Oh my goodness no way that was going to happen. They ran in every direction "I don't want to come in, I don't want to come in". I even got a few nips to my hands for trying to pick them up. Then boom, 9:30 and the crying starts "MOM, come get us, please take us inside". They can't jump into my hands fast enough. So funny!!! What a difference 15 minutes makes. I'm chicken sitting for my friend and hers are the same way. Heaven forbid I try to lock them in at 9:15.

2. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Fickle little things aren't they?

4. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    It's just like kids at bedtime! "Just 15 more minutes Mom!! PLEASE!!!" LOL [​IMG]

5. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    lol [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:That's exactly what I was going to say. The same thing goes for the last one or two in the run who suddenly realize that all of their evasive maneuvers mean that they are the only ones left and the rest of their flock is somewhere else. All of a sudden their eager to go with you.

7. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    They always make me laugh. Even when chasing them back into their coop. DO NOT tell me they aren't smart. Clever even. There's even the sneaky escaper. Last night I got home late. The sun was on the other side of going down, and I was hoping for a little time to be with them. Stinkers were already upstairs, sleeping! So...I'm acting like an idiot, tiptoeing through the yard to the garden to gleem stuff to use for dinner. I have truely lost my mind....

8. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:That's so funny! I have a 5 week old runt that still likes to cuddle since she's not fully feathered, and her siblings aren't always accommodating. So most nights I wrap her in a washcloth and let her cuddle with me or whoever is watching tv. The other night I walked in to get her and they were all sleeping, I mumbled an apology and turned the light back out. Huh? What was I thinking lol.

So true about the ones that run away and end up alone. You are suddenly their best friend lol.

Tonight's "15 more minutes mom" was 6 minutes!!!! Crazy!

9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] U r sooooo right! We normally try to go out every night around 8:00 - 8:15pm to let them out in the big yard to play for about 30 mins, cuz they normally go to bed around 8:45. There have been a few evenings were it is still 90 degrees at 8:30pm and u should hear the cussing when we put them to bed a few minutes early!! LOL They stand at the gate every night and wait to b let out. Silly chickens!

10. Geckochick

Geckochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Ah! So glad to see this! We just opened the outdoor run of the coop the other day and they are loving it! And, it has been so hot, that the evenings must be their favourite time of day. Last night we had quite a task of shooing them all into the coop, and they had a little meltdown about it once indoors. Maybe I will try waiting just 15 more minutes tonight and see if that helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by