Chickens CHOKING on feed!!!

cherokeechick33

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
kenton, Ohio
The other day I had a rooster choke on crumbled feed. luckily we got it cleared and he is okay. His crop was jam packed with feed. we had to press on the crop to get the feed out. he was so limp when we got all of it out. Then 2 days later I had 2 white leghorn roos choke in the same day. I have started to feed little feed multiple times a day. I have had a rooster die because he choked on some bread,
hit.gif

But I want to know if this has happened to anyone else?? What can I do to prevent it? I don't want to use pellets because I am scared that they would choke on it too. Please Help!!
Taylor

Are they choking, or is the food impacted in their crops, or both? How old are they? Was the food in the crop that you expelled clumped together? I haven't had this problem, but I would recommend mixing some whole or cracked grain into their feed (we use sunflower seeds, a small amount of scratch or gamecock mix) to give it some "grit" and help prevent caking in the crop. Crumbles, mash and pellets are basically made from a fine, powdery mix of pulverized grain and meal. Our ducks had a problem with straight mash (they were coughing/choking a bit when they ate) so we started mixing it with whole grains and it helped. My neighbor won't feed his birds mash or crumbles because they are "dusty" and irritate the lungs of his birds. He swears by pellets, though. Good Luck, Lynn

I am going to make a wild stab at this one.. If I am wrong ignore this post..

You are feeding your birds once a day,, and when they do get their feed they are very hungry and eat very fast..

that is usually the cause for what problem you are having..

no reply necessary..

there is fine sand grit in crumbles.

just take a spoonful and disolve it in a dish of water and feel the results with your fingers..

yes I feed 1 time a day. buy this only happens to the roosters. I have 9 other chickens that this has never happened to. I will see if I can buy some scratch grains today. I hope I never have a Rooster choke because of feed,

Yes the feed was clumped together,-----Are they choking, or is the food impacted in their crops,------ I don't know I think Both. Because they were turning purple and their crops were full to the brim. the first roo a OEGB is about 1 year old. The WL are about 18 months old.
Thanks soooooo much
taylor

One thing about scratch feed, it is like "candy" to chickens so don't let that be the bulk of the food. Also, I don't give it to my chickens during the hot months either.

I agree with the others...make sure feed (and water) is available all the time. If you can, put out several feeders so that there will be less competition for food, and hopefully, wolfing down food will stop.

Why do you only feed once a day? Do your birds free range? Ours do, but we still supplement with grain feed twice a day. Best, Lynn

Back
Top Bottom