Chickens commuting to work?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
I just got a community garden plot, about 1.5 miles away from my house. I would like to take my chicken tractor out there, and let the birds do some work on the plot for me.

I would bring the birds back to the barn/coop at night, and then out to the chicken tractor in the morning - to let them stay out there all day. I could check on them at lunch time, as I work from home. I'd transport them back and forth in a dog crate with hay in it.

Does anyone have any ideas about this arrangement? What will the chickens think of it? This would only be for about a month. They aren't laying yet -- they're forecast to lay about 3 weeks after they would stop commuting to their "work" in the chicken tractor.

Any thoughts?

It would make me a bit nervous to leave birds unattended in a public garden area...something could go wrong & you wouldn't be there to help your birds.

some ppl have problems with birds being sttolen rite in thier own yards let alone in an unattended public type place. i dont think id advise it butttttt they are your birds so do as you wish just wouldnt be my ideal situation. maybe u could get someone to watch them or something being it is a community garden?

I'd particularly worry about people who might either think the chickens had been abandoned there and needed rescuing, or felt that it was abusive to Cage The Poor Birdies In A Tiny Cage On The Dirt and either report ya to the humane society or just set your chickens 'free'
hmm.png

Pat

Yeahhh I wouldn't do it, you never know what might happen, I mean if you're there, and it's like a weekend, and you can be there all day to watch them, then fine, but I would NOT be leaving them alone.

I know of people who have their flocks on their own property or farmland which is miles away from their house in the city. But it isn't an ideal situation and you should be prepared for losses.

BUT I think the biggest problem would be that the constant movement would be TOO stressful for the birds themselves. Stress WILL cause them to lay later than they are "supposed to" and may even be so bad as to have them not lay at all! Stress can cause illness and possibly death.

Last edited:
I know somebody that that has a plot in a community garden in a church yard. He raises broilers there, and they stay in their tractor (it has a shelter in it) 24/7 at the the garden until they are processed. Whether or not they are safe there depends on the neighborhood. I would worry about the daily commute being stressful though.

Quote:
Really? Right out of their own yard? Man, thats harsh. I pity the fool that tries that at my house. Can you say Rottweiler?

Anyway, wow, I bet ifin you took your birds there you would be worried about them all day long and never get any work done cause you were worried and get fired and then you would have to get more birds cause you needed more eggs to sale to make a living and then you would probably need a govt bailout plan---------------------------------

I wouldnt do it.

Last edited:
OK here I go against the stream! I think it is a great idea even if you only do it a few days a week. Post a weather protected sign saying what you are doing and why. I guess I'm just a political chicken nut but we need people to start to get it - where our food comes from and how important it is - now more than ever. Talk to the other gardeners and they will help protect your brood. Make it the so sensible good thing to do.
That's what I think. And as for what your chickens would think of it - I think they'd land pecking at the dirt just like they always do!
jan la banan
Get Real! Get Chickens!

I think the chickens would adapt, without too much trouble. It's a natural behavior of chickens to leave home during the day and go out adventuring in different places. Most of them just don't go by car. When I brooded a few chickens in the house, instead of a big batch in the coop, I carried them in a container out to a tractor in the yard on nice days. After a couple of days they got used to the new environment and loved it. This is just an extension of doing that.

If they were mine, though, I'd spend time with them in the garden the first couple of days. Plus give them some of their favorite treats in the tractor there. They'll feel safe if you are there, because they know you and trust you. You also don't have to leave them there the entire day, the first time.

As far as security, I have no idea. Things seem to be quite different, depending on where you live. I would lock the doors, at least. You don't want a young child to accidentally let them out. It might be fine or it might be a really bad idea. Some places you can't leave a pumpkin on your porch and other places people still don't even lock their doors. I don't think the safety of the chickens is something people that don't live there can know about, except to tell you to err on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom