Chickens dealing w/ grief. Dog dangers.

Dogs are predators and chickens are prey, so it’s not the dog’s fault for being a dog, or yours for predator/prey relationships. Everything goes after chickens (sometimes even other chickens!). I wouldn’t recommend shooting the dog, but in many states you have that right to do so. Maybe take it to the pound instead. From what I’ve heard and read, confronting the dog’s owner - if any - doesn’t often turn out for the better., unfortunately. Never leave chickens untended with a dog, even your own - all it takes is one flutter and predator instinct to kick in, or an over- boisterous playing, and you have chicken dinner.

As far as your run - not sure what you have up for fencing panels, but if a dog can get it’s snout or head in, most likely other potential predators can get in like possums, skunks, and rats. We had skunks moseying in right through our pen. Fortunately all it did was eat an egg (it was winter and only one hen was laying). We put up chicken wire over the paneling and that took care of the problem.
We're in rural Missouri and we can pretty much shoot anything that damages property, pets or livestock. My grandparents raised chickens, turkeys, rabbits and quail just a few houses down from me and I remember the only real issue they ever had were snakes (that got eggs and chicks if the big birds didn't peck them to death first) and very clever raccoons. Never a dog. Sometimes I guess when you have dog it's hard to think of them as being predatory.
We have a metal framed covered 10 x 10 run with a locking coop over a small run inside it. The chickens get locked in the coop at sunset and let out into the run at sun up. They only free range when we are out spending time with them. They've only been outdoors less than 2 weeks. The runs double covered with chicken wire but as understand know that just isn't enough.
Sorry missed it. Good time to point out to the hubby chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. It doesn't keep anything else out and your worries were well founded.

Personally I woulda shot the dog on site. I've done had to shoot a few during calving season because the idiot on the next property thinks it's ok to take in every stray, feed them every other month, and let them roam. He's done called the sheriff on me and got a fine because his dogs were destroying my property. Plus the sheriff was kind enough to suggest I bill him and hand delivered it for me.
It can get tense when couples work on projects together. We'd spendt a good day building the coop and run and I just didn't have it in me to fight with him about it. Believe me. He's hearing about it now.
Tbh if that dog hadn't run to the neighbors (who is like obsessed with stray dogs) my husband would've shot it. The sheriff told us to and said we're well with in our rights. He told us if we found out who owns the dog to do the same as you, but with the way folks can be around here I doubt anyone will ever admit it.

Sorry missed it. Good time to point out to the hubby chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. It doesn't keep anything else out and your worries were well founded.

Personally I woulda shot the dog on site. I've done had to shoot a few during calving season because the idiot on the next property thinks it's ok to take in every stray, feed them every other month, and let them roam. He's done called the sheriff on me and got a fine because his dogs were destroying my property. Plus the sheriff was kind enough to suggest I bill him and hand delivered it for m

You didn't have to "done shoot the dog". Get a grip of yourself. An eye for an eye makes the world go blind...

I'm also in rural Missouri, and no, you can't take a stray dog to the pound out here. You can only take a dog to a local shelter if you can prove you live in the city limits where the shelter is located. We don't have shelters or pounds that take dogs from the county. What I have done a few times when dogs have come onto my property is to lure them, if I can, into my grow-out pen (aka bachelor pen, etc.), if it is not being used, and post it on Facebook. So far the owners have come to claim them and I've not seen these particular dogs again. If the dog is a chicken killer and the owner doesn't claim it, what OP has stated is true. There is only one other option. You can call the sheriff but they won't do the deed for you.

Sop sorry for your loss. I am rural too. I have lost birds to predator in the past but not for quite a long time. Rhode Island Whites are one of the breeds I raise as noted in my signature. I have had issues with a multitude of predators. Lessons learned the hard way. I put electric wires up around my coops and pens and nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I also have welded wires with chicken wire. It may not have been the dog that killed your bird since it was inside the wire it could have been another predator that killed your bird and the dog scared it off and then you saw it running around. If you have a camera put it up and see if there are any predators lurking. I have several cameras up and most nights when they roam here I see a predator on at least one of the cameras. If it was another predator that killed your bird it will be back. Good luck...
IMG_20200428_102816.jpg
20210115_095548.jpg

I have never eliminated a dog but have had some on my property and did notify the owner who then kept them away. I have eliminated other predators. If they are after my birds I would SSS. I asked a local wildlife officer and he said if they are after my livestock then I have the right to eliminate them. I'm sure it's pretty much the same in most rural areas. Again good luck...

We have (had) 3, 8 week old hens as of yesterday morning. They were in thier run just doing chicken stuff, when I saw from the window a strange dog running circles around the run. I got outside as fast as I could I immediately saw our sweet Rhode Island White, Ellie, lying still in a corner. The wire looked disturbed but not broken. There were feathers everywhere. My husband took off after the dog who ran into a neighbors garage and I went in the run and picked Ellie up. I don't understand how this medium sized dog grabbed her through the wire (it wasn't even broken) and killed her, but none the less she was dead. She appeared to be punctured in her side.
Its been a pretty intense 24 hours, emotionally. These chickens are my children's pets, this one in particular is my 9 year olds. He has been pretty much inconsolable. He usually sits in the mornings and afternoons with her. She eat from his hand, snuggles him and sleeps in his lap.
I am upset and angry. With the dog, whomever it belongs to and for my novice failings at making the run super secure. It never did occur to me that a dog would do this. We have a 70lb pit mix and he sniffs the chicks and leaves them be. They were not scared of dogs.
We live in a rural area, unfortunately people tend to let thier dogs run wild. The sheriff has advised us to shot the dog or any dog if it comes around our chickens. 😬 I want to avoid that and just find a way to keep them extra safe from dogs. What do I do???
Our remaining chickie girls seem very upset, Ellie was kinda the alpha and them seem to be calling for her / looking for her. They are also not eating well and are staying inside thier coop. They just seem, you know sad and scared. How can I help them through this? Will they just move on?

Has anyone else had issues with dogs as predators and dealing with mourning chickens??

A picture of sweet Ellie and the dog that killed her.
I'm so very sorry you has this happen. It's hard to lose a pet. But you said you don't have predators and this is where I suspect you made an error, because dogs are predators and so are cats! You need to change this idea or you will lose chickens again. Dogs are doing what their instinct tells them. They are not killing your pet because they want to hurt you. Demanding they not see your chickens as fun to kill, is like asking a Fox to see your chickens as pets. Chickens are doggy "crack" as they flap and cause a huge increase in predator behavior. It's OUR JOB to protect the chickens, not the dog's job to know it's your pet. Your protection wasn't good enough. Most of us have had horrible things happen before we make the Ft. Knox of chicken/duck pens. GET ELECTRIC WIRE and electric fence charger and you will NEVER have another problem! Run one wire about 4 inches above the ground, one at 10 inches and another at the top edge of the coop. If you have a solid top of hardware cloth, you will NEVER lose another chicken. Make sure this electric is ALWAYS ON! Then you NEVER have to worry about the dog again. After it's on, tell the owner to let the dog loose and watch it get shocked and take off running. To see how well it works, put a deer cam outside. That dog is NOT the only predator coming to your pen! We lived in the suburbs for 25 years and had Raccoons, Foxes, Coyotes, and feral cats. Hawks and Owls were common at 3 am! If the dog got a chicken, so will other predators. Don't blame the dog. If the coop was 1/4 inch hardware cloth on the bottom 3 ft (under 1/2 inch hardware cloth) and 1/2inch hardware cloth on the rest, then electric in several places, he wouldn't have been able to get through. Don't punish yourself. I have 8 children I want to raise to be responsible adults. I do this by accepting responsibility for some really hard things. I'm a doctor, so imagine taking responsibility for a human LIFE! I'd have a talk with them taking responsibility for the dog getting in, and tell them how you are going to make sure it never happens again, by putting electric around the coop. No longer will you be the victim, because you are taking the responsibility for your chickens' lives back and insuring they will be safe. Then let this episode go. It happens to most people, so you're not alone. Most people on here will tell you they've had the same thing happen, till they got electric.....

We're in rural Missouri and we can pretty much shoot anything that damages property, pets or livestock. My grandparents raised chickens, turkeys, rabbits and quail just a few houses down from me and I remember the only real issue they ever had were snakes (that got eggs and chicks if the big birds didn't peck them to death first) and very clever raccoons. Never a dog. Sometimes I guess when you have dog it's hard to think of them as being predatory.
We have a metal framed covered 10 x 10 run with a locking coop over a small run inside it. The chickens get locked in the coop at sunset and let out into the run at sun up. They only free range when we are out spending time with them. They've only been outdoors less than 2 weeks. The runs double covered with chicken wire but as understand know that just isn't enough.

It can get tense when couples work on projects together. We'd spendt a good day building the coop and run and I just didn't have it in me to fight with him about it. Believe me. He's hearing about it now.
Tbh if that dog hadn't run to the neighbors (who is like obsessed with stray dogs) my husband would've shot it. The sheriff told us to and said we're well with in our rights. He told us if we found out who owns the dog to do the same as you, but with the way folks can be around here I doubt anyone will ever admit it.
If you shoot a dog in most localities, you will be brought up on Federal animal abuse charges. The dog can't be threatening to hurt your chickens, it has to actually have one in it's mouth. And BTW, you need to be very careful about shooting dogs. We had a neigghbor who did that and somebody killed half a million dollars of his horses because of it! There have also been people killed for shooting a neighbor's dog. I personally, don't let mine run, but accidents do happen. If anyone killed my dog, I'd kill them in a heartbeat. Not everyone will just accept you killing their dog and you better be willing to pay with your life.

I'm also in rural Missouri, and no, you can't take a stray dog to the pound out here. You can only take a dog to a local shelter if you can prove you live in the city limits where the shelter is located. We don't have shelters or pounds that take dogs from the county. What I have done a few times when dogs have come onto my property is to lure them, if I can, into my grow-out pen (aka bachelor pen, etc.), if it is not being used, and post it on Facebook. So far the owners have come to claim them and I've not seen these particular dogs again. If the dog is a chicken killer and the owner doesn't claim it, what OP has stated is true. There is only one other option. You can call the sheriff but they won't do the deed for you.
No there's another option. Call local rescues and they will take the dog. All you have to do is say that you'll have to shoot the dog is nobody gets it in 72 hours and they'll take it. Post it on Leigh's site for lost and found dogs in rural MO. There are MANY options.

Irresponsible dog owners typically won't pay if their dog is caught killing chickens .If you saw the dog killing your chickens and put it in a dog kennel or other suitable sheltered area with food and water where it couldn't kill anymore you've done all you can. Post a found ad on Facebook and notify animal control. Tell them the dog was caught after it killed your chickens and let them know you're holding it.
Owner(s) have x amount of days to "claim" any found dogs under state law(varies by state) If a verified owner comes forward require them to show proof of ownership before giving them a bill (keep original and give them a copy) Have them pay you for damages before surrendering the dog .You have the legal right to "hold" their dog until paid .You are required to treat the dog humanely if you hold it.You should consult an attorney if you go this route to collect.

*Bill should include cost to replace the dead (and treat any injured chickens )with similar chickens of same value plus loss of any income if you sell meat, eggs,etc plus damages to your property (repairs to damaged run, coop, etc caused by the dog ) plus medical bill if persons or livestock required medical care. Charge the owner(s) for the actual cost to house and feed the dog x times the number of days held. This includes your cost to "hold" the dog (shelter,food and water, grooming, clean up, vet consultation and visit fees,medical care and any vaccinations required)If the dog is not claimed within a specified amount of time legally it become your dog to do with as you wish.Surrender the dog to animal control if no owner comes forward.Dogs kill more chickens than any other predator because irresponsible dog owners don't keep their dogs in contained areas as they should.A dogs instinct can drive them to kill prey animals that overly excite them.

I'm sorry for your loss and hope you can forgive yourself and realize chickens are low on the food chain so they're hard to protect.(Even squirrels eat chickens but they muct be chicks)Try to secure your chickens in 1/2" hardware enclosed pens with aprons so no more predators can kill them especially since they're your kids kids pets.Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom