Chickens dealing w/ grief. Dog dangers.

No there's another option. Call local rescues and they will take the dog. All you have to do is say that you'll have to shoot the dog is nobody gets it in 72 hours and they'll take it. Post it on Leigh's site for lost and found dogs in rural MO. There are MANY options.
There are no animal rescues within hours of me. Can't speak for anyone else.

I’m so sorry, like said please don’t use chicken wire... Also I didn’t read the whole thing but think about putting skirts around your run if you don’t already. Again I’m so sorry! 💔🐔😢

No there's another option. Call local rescues and they will take the dog. All you have to do is say that you'll have to shoot the dog is nobody gets it in 72 hours and they'll take it. Post it on Leigh's site for lost and found dogs in rural MO. There are MANY options.
Oh, I googled Leigh's Lost and Found. It only seems to have a Facebook presence. Sorry, but I don't do FB. Thanks for trying to help. Maybe it will help others.

Thank you. I feel almost silly. We're so upset. I love these little birds.
Never feel silly. People who haven't had chickens can't understand how sweet and personable they can be until they've experienced it firsthand. I think I speak for everyone here when I say we understand and know your grief in losing a chicken.
When Animal Control came to my house about my rooster Pepper last month and told me I had 30 days to rehome him I bawled like a baby. Scared my kid and grandkids because I was crying so hard.
He and his bff Rosie are doing fantastic at the sanctuary by the way. We sure miss them.

Never feel silly. People who haven't had chickens can't understand how sweet and personable they can be until they've experienced it firsthand. I think I speak for everyone here when I say we understand and know your grief in losing a chicken.
When Animal Control came to my house about my rooster Pepper last month and told me I had 30 days to rehome him I bawled like a baby. Scared my kid and grandkids because I was crying so hard.
He and his bff Rosie are doing fantastic at the sanctuary by the way. We sure miss them.
Even those with predator proof coops like myself can lose one. All it takes is forgetting to lock a door. I've lost my share of pets in the past and don't takes chance anymore! All my animals have secure runs(chickens) catio's(cats)& fences(dogs). Sorry about your rooster!

You can still write an incident report with the agency's that have no authority to act or respond. Especially if you know where the dog belongs.go Write an incident report sign it and bring it to the sheriffs department to have it case number and filed and copied for your records. Keep the dates and who you talked to. That way when your on your 20th dead chicken and the same neighbors 3 or 4th dog you will have records if forced I to civil court. It is hard to lose any of them even when we provide a descent secure area for them. Sometimes stuff just happens

If you shoot a dog in most localities, you will be brought up on Federal animal abuse charges. The dog can't be threatening to hurt your chickens, it has to actually have one in it's mouth. And BTW, you need to be very careful about shooting dogs. We had a neigghbor who did that and somebody killed half a million dollars of his horses because of it! There have also been people killed for shooting a neighbor's dog. I personally, don't let mine run, but accidents do happen. If anyone killed my dog, I'd kill them in a heartbeat. Not everyone will just accept you killing their dog and you better be willing to pay with your life.
this isn’t only bad advice, but it’s just plain untrue.

the OP’s sheriff told her to shoot the dog and there are several other posters on this thread telling you that’s the law where they live as well.

shooting a dog for killing your animals is usually justified. shooting a person for killing your dog is always murder.

id think long and hard about your position on this one.

If you shoot a dog in most localities, you will be brought up on Federal animal abuse charges. The dog can't be threatening to hurt your chickens, it has to actually have one in it's mouth. And BTW, you need to be very careful about shooting dogs. We had a neigghbor who did that and somebody killed half a million dollars of his horses because of it! There have also been people killed for shooting a neighbor's dog. I personally, don't let mine run, but accidents do happen. If anyone killed my dog, I'd kill them in a heartbeat. Not everyone will just accept you killing their dog and you better be willing to pay with your life.
I don't know where you live, but even in California, marauding dogs that are caught killing or harassing livestock may be killed. If you caught, then proceeded to torture said dog, or killed it via drowning? Then federal animal cruelty statues might apply. Assuming you could prove it.

As someone else pointed out? You might wanna think about that stance of yours. If YOUR dog is on MY property destroying MY livestock... YOU are the one at fault for not keeping your dog on your property. Therefore if your dog is shot in the process of doing the above, you have no one but yourself to blame, and the courts will side with the person with the dead livestock. Now... Shooting a person? That's assault with a deadly weapon if they survive, murder if they don't. Pretty sure that's a longer prison term than an animal abuse charge. Easier to prove, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom