Chickens Devour Gingerbread House (video)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Hishigata, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    A Very Merry Chicken Holiday!

[​IMG]

This year in addition to making cookies for myself, I made some for my feathered friends. This is a gingerbread house coop I made from a modified sugar cookie recipe. I removed the sugar and substituted a touch of molasses and some corn meal. The "icing" is melted cream cheese topped with oatmeal and cranberry slices plus a couple brussels sprouts for good measure.

The hens loved this Christmas treat and I loved watching them eat it. Here is the video set to Christmas music for your entertainment. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    That is so precious. Would you mind posting the recipe?

3. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    It is not much of a recipe as I sort of made it up as I went along. Below is a rough estimate.

Gingerbread Recipe (chicken-friendly edition)

Ingredients:
    • 2 1/2 C flour
    • 8 Tbsp butter (at room temperature)
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/4 C molasses
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 2 Tbsp corn meal

Directions:
    1. Mix butter, molasses, and corn meal into a smooth consistency.
    2. Mix in two beaten eggs then add dry ingredients(flour, salt, baking powder) and mix well.
    3. Cover dough or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to overnight.
    4. Roll out chilled dough and cut into desired shapes. Bake in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

I hope your chickens like this recipe as well as mine did. The cream cheese topping was really the favourite bit, I think.

4. Aww this is so cute!I need to make one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by