Chickens disappeared - what happened?

newchickenmummy

Hatching
Dec 30, 2015
Hello

I'm back with some bad news unfortunately. 5 out of our 6 chickens have disappeared. We gave them to my parents to take care of. Parents have been busy renovating their house and for two nights forgot to close the coop. The chickens would have been around 15 weeks old. The ones that disappeared were 4 cocks and 1 pullet. We have 1 pullet remaining.

The only trace we found was the feathers from our Australorp close to a fence. We weren't able to find any other signs of the chickens. We are trying to figure out what happened to them and if there's any chance they could come back.

Were they taken by a predator? What kind? We live in QLD Australia.
Did they run off to a neighbour's property?
Were they taken by the construction workers or neighbours?

There are no neighbouring dogs and we have also not really seen our neighbour's chickens either since a few weeks ago. If anyone has any insights or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

It is very li8kely that a predator found your flock and viewed it is a free buffet.

Indeed! Likely something bigger that can carry them away, like some (wild) dogs, a fox, wolves or something in the line? Chickens can't do much if anything in the dark, one can simply pick them up and carry them around (holding the feathers together).

I you do not have any other animals to protect them, an open coop is just an invitation for others to have an easy & free meal! ;-(

Back
Top Bottom