chickens do not go in the coop at night

hilltopeggs

Hatching
Nov 26, 2015
the chickens can be found after dark pecking around the ouside of the coop but not inside

i want to get an auto door but it will close at dark and they i fear will be left out

does anyone have any comments on this or suggestions??

Has your flock always shunned the coop? Or have you only just acquired your flock? Depending on the answer, there are different suggestions.

New chickens require "cooping up" for several days to imprint on them the coop is home so they will return to it to roost each night.

If they are suddenly shunning the coop after a normal roosting pattern prior, then you need to investigate the cause for it. Predators, parasites, a sudden fright, etc, all could be why they don't want to go inside the coop.

Baby chicks require teaching to get them to go in at night. Are these young chicks you're talking about?

More information would be very helpful if you want suggestions.

I am having the same issue. But with only my dominant Rooster. Everyone else goes to coop at night except him. He is a rather big fella, and I am too short to lift him into the coop. My Fiance is deployed so he is not here to pick him up and lift him up. Our Rooster is about 2 years old, give or take. He wont even follow his mate up there ) :

I am having the same issue. But with only my dominant Rooster. Everyone else goes to coop at night except him. He is a rather big fella, and I am too short to lift him into the coop. My Fiance is deployed so he is not here to pick him up and lift him up. Our Rooster is about 2 years old, give or take. He wont even follow his mate up there ) :

Surely you could find a milk crate, a tree stump, or lean a board against the side of the coop under the entrance so the poor roo can get up there.

Obviously, he's too large to be able to hop up. If he's quite heavy, he risks breaking a leg by hopping down, too. You have a problem. You need to think hard and solve it.

Um,okay.Well I didn't want to bring my personal business on here but there are a other reasons why it is hard for me to put him up. He is not a HUGE silkie, and I have put two crates down with tons of hay for him to get into. So, yes, I am trying to solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom