Chickens dont seem to like the layer pellets.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flash5153, Jul 26, 2010.

1. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    15 weeks old,,just changed food a few days ago from grower to Layer . The layer comes in pellet form. They sure dont seem to like it too much. With grower they would empty a tray or 2 in a day,,with new layer pellets not even eating 1 tray a day.
    I feed them garden veggies also,, so they are not starving,but have always done this.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Texasboy4ever

Texasboy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Greenville,Marietta,SC
    I had the same problem, when you switch from a crumble to pellets they just don't like the change. I started feeding mine laying crumbles and they were fine with that

3. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    Hmmmm??? Maybe I can make the 40lb bag into crumbs.[​IMG] Im going to give it a try until I buy the next .

4. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

My spring chicks are about 16 weeks and still eating chick starter-grower. When they are down to about 1/3 of the bag, I will mix layer crumbles in it to transition them over, then gradually get them onto the pellets by the time they are 20 weeks. No eggs yet, at least I haven't seen any. Must get those nest boxes up!

My older hens eat the pellets, and have no problem with them. I think the chicks just don't like something different. Try mixing a little scratch or cracked corn in it, and I bet they will eat it. You could try breaking them up, but be careful you don't end up with powder instead of crumbles.

Good luck!

5. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Same with mine. I ended up mixing the pellets with crumbles till they were gone and then stuck with crumbles.Spoiled I guess

6. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    I agree with your plan. I never gave it any thought until now and didnt realize I bought pellets until too late. I'll let you know if the pellets break up without turning to powder.
    I will also go buy some crumbed layer feed and work it in.
    Thanks for the help.[​IMG]

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    You can mix some layer crumbles with the layer pellets. It's the change the birds are not sure of. You can always mix the grower crumbles with the layer pellets. Since the birds aren't ready to lay yet that would be fine.

8. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I had the same problem but they eventually started eating the pellet. I had 2 feeders for the longest time.... one with pellets and one with crumbles. They seem to waste less with the pellets.

9. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    yeah, you can mix the crumble in with the pellets. it takes the chickens we have/had a while to start eating the pellets. and i'm not sure if they ever prefer them to anything. it seems to be a last option for our chickens. anything but the pellet!

our chickens have started eating less of the pellets b/c they are eating bugs and grass.

there is a cracked corn type for laying hens, but my experience is that they throw half of it out on the ground while eating. they don't throw the pellets around.

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yeah, I had the same problem. Ended up taking a sledge hammer to the pellets. Worked fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by