Chickens don't want to roost

ChickenOfSpades

Chirping
Apr 23, 2022
Lehi, Utah
I just moved my four 11-week-old chickens into a new pen I built, and I used a board (laying the wide direction) for the roost. They don't seem to want to stand on it, and are kind of squishing together in the corner.

Any tips to get them to use the roost? I don't want any suffocated chickens - is this a concern with only four of them?

I put it in an area of the yard they already like to hang out.

Last edited:
Just checked on them and they're not piled up now, but are content sleeping on the ground apparently. Any issues with this?

The "roost" is admittedly kinda short. Ran out of daylight, bit tomorrow's project is a taller one

PXL_20220718_034014488~3.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see any problem with this; in the longer term it would be preferable to encourage roosting, what I do is just lift them up in the evening on to the roosts and after a couple of times they usually get the hang of it.
Tried that tonight...they stood there for a few minutes then got back on the ground, lol 🤷‍♂️

I suggest you move your roost up considerably higher, at least two to four feet above the ground. You're going to want the roost higher than the nests when they start to lay. They'll want to roost as high as they can, and you do NOT want them sleeping in the nests unless you want nasty, poopy eggs. To get them to roost, move them onto the roosts when it's dark, and if they can't see, they'll stay put. In ny experience, they usually get the idea in two or three nights. Good luck!

How dark was it?
To start with the darker the better to discourage jumping down.
But usually as they get older they get better at it anyway so I wouldn't worry to much.
It was dark enough that I had to use a flashlight to see them well, but not totally dark yet. I'll try that thanks

I suggest you move your roost up considerably higher, at least two to four feet above the ground. You're going to want the roost higher than the nests when they start to lay. They'll want to roost as high as they can, and you do NOT want them sleeping in the nests unless you want nasty, poopy eggs. To get them to roost, move them onto the roosts when it's dark, and if they can't see, they'll stay put. In ny experience, they usually get the idea in two or three nights. Good luck!
The little pen/coop is ~4 feet tall, so I'll probably put two roosting bars 18-24 inches off the ground. I just ran out of daylight so an attached a board to whatever I had laying around for tonight.

How dark was it?
To start with the darker the better to discourage jumping down.
But usually as they get older they get better at it anyway so I wouldn't worry to much.
I can't see any problem with this; in the longer term it would be preferable to encourage roosting, what I do is just lift them up in the evening on to the roosts and after a couple of times they usually get the hang of it.
I have1 set of chickens that are approx 20 months old. They are finally roosting but lay their eggs in weird places on the floor. My new pullets are 6 1/2 weeks old and they roost above the nesting box on the end where the structure called for 2x4's. I have to add that both sets were raised by the setter and left to their own devices at 4-5 weeks old. Crappy moms.

I have1 set of chickens that are approx 20 months old. They are finally roosting but lay their eggs in weird places on the floor. My new pullets are 6 1/2 weeks old and they roost above the nesting box on the end where the structure called for 2x4's. I have to add that both sets were raised by the setter and left to their own devices at 4-5 weeks old. Crappy moms.
Have you tried putting some fake eggs where you want them to lay?
Almost all broodes will leave the babies around that time, my best mother left hers at 3 weeks once.

Back
Top Bottom