Chickens down

Wolfie2

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
South of Houston
Half of my flock, 5 hens, are down. I have been on nite shift for several days and the wife has been taking care of them so I haven't seen them lately. It's like they just don't have the energy. All 5 are in the coop and should be outside the pen free ranging now. 4 are laying upright, heads up and looking around but not getting up, moving around and the other is alive but head down and shallow breathing. Any ideas? Should I move the alert ones outside in the shade for fresh air?

Is it hot where you live? I’d start with vitamins and electrolytes in the water.

How old are these birds? Are there any respiratory symptoms at all? Could feed have gone moldy? How does the poop look? Have you introduced any new birds?

If they are all down, I suspect something contagious or environmental. We’ll have to narrow it down to advise you.

South East Texas and yes, low 90's and humid. Nothing new in coop/run/1 acre free range area EXCEPT: a "chicken snake" caught and strangled in the "bird netting" above the run. Been there a couple days and maggots already present. I noticed they are eating the maggots. Thought that might be good.
They are 2-4 yrs old.
They free range about 7-8 hrs./ day. Gave them electrolytes in a small bowl and added Apple cider vinegar to their water supply ( Another story.Will be doing that from now >).
I added 1 TBSP ACV /gal H2o to the 7 gal water can. Gave the generic "baby electrolytes" in separate bowl. Is this close to correct?
Had 5 down. 1 is gone. Can't find carcass/bird. 2 dead/incinerated. 2 still alert but inactive.
If I add electrolytes to the water, What would be the ratio for electrolytes/ gal water and how would I take into account the ACV into that mix?

Last edited:
PS: I am new to this high falutin, gettin mixed up in Mother Natures business style of chicken management. More used to the "Let mother Nature take it's course and learn from it" style of management. Tryin to change my POV!
Does that make me an "Old Fart"?

Half of my flock, 5 hens, are down. I have been on nite shift for several days and the wife has been taking care of them so I haven't seen them lately. It's like they just don't have the energy. All 5 are in the coop and should be outside the pen free ranging now. 4 are laying upright, heads up and looking around but not getting up, moving around and the other is alive but head down and shallow breathing. Any ideas? Should I move the alert ones outside in the shade for fresh air?

EXCEPT: a "chicken snake" caught and strangled in the "bird netting" above the run. Been there a couple days and maggots already present. I noticed they are eating the maggots. Thought that might be good.
They are 2-4 yrs old.
I would remove the snake, scoop up all the maggots you find and block them from the area for a couple of days.
If you have photos of how the birds are laying, that would be good.
You mention they are moving around but not getting up? Are the scooching around?
What do you feed?

For me, the maggots are "iffy". It could be possible they are suffering from Botulism, not all the symptoms really line up, but I've found that it not always the case either.
I would do your best to get them hydrated. Electrolytes would be good. If you have any poultry vitamins I would give them a direct dose or you can add those to the water.
See if they would be will to eat a little scrambled egg too.

Something else to look at would be your feed, make sure it's not moldy or rancid. that many to be down at one time, then I would gamble it's something in their environment - what they ate or drank.

Signs of botulism are flaccid paralysis of both legs and feet. It then will travel up the spinal nerves to the wings, and neck which also become paralyzed, and wll lead to death if the breathing muscles are affected. Mold in feed can cause neurological signs such as staggering, lameness drooping wings. Dehydration can appear similar. Make sure they are drinking some electrolytes with your hot summer temperatures.

Also, don't do both ACV and electrolyte- just do the packaged electrolytes.

I use ACV but I'm not convinced it would "treat" anything. Actually, I'm only still doing it for them because they seem to prefer water with it added vs. Plain water but I've seen no major health benefits and certainly wouldn't use it to treat a real medical issue.

The electrolytes are designed for poultry and proven effective against heat stress issues and dehydration so definitely use those and maybe pick up some nutridrench to perk them up while their appetite is down.

I'm so sorry they're doing poorly; I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Back
Top Bottom