Chickens drinking from the wrong source...

ValerieR

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
I have 16 chickens that are free range around our place. I have a water pan out for them and a freshwater pond just across the fence that they could go to but they choose to run down the hill and under a fence to drink from our sewer lagoon! Why do they do this and how can I get them to drink fresher water? It grosses me out. Will what they drink effect the egg quality for my family? I'm pretty new to owning chickens, so I don't really know what to do, if anything. Thanks!

Fix the fence...if the chickens can get out a predator can get in. Also by fixing the fence you cut off the water supply they seem to have chosen and will find a new one. The one you provide. Chickens would rather have puddle water over bottled water.

It probably tastes better. LOL

A muddy puddle with mixed in poop is always prefered over fresh clean filtered water from the house...

I would also fix the fence for their safety if they need the fence for some reason, or you just want them to keep out of the sewer lagoon.

Here in the PNW my birds are always drinking from puddles with who knows what in them. I figure it just cuts down on how often I need to water
wink.png

You can line your fence with a little bird netting (plastic) if you don't want to redo it all - it will get tangled in the grass but would be a quick fix (the stuff you cover fruit trees with).

Someone posted a pic of how they extended their fence upwards with the stuff using taller posts...you can put it under your fence too (I am assuming it is barbed wire or something).

Only thing is that the stuff is incredibly tangle-prone and you will be frustrated if you ever take it down, LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I won't be doing anything about the fence. It's just a barbed wire fence around our large yard and I'm not going to install a new fence all the way around just for the chickens. They roost in the small coop at night and I shut them in there for their safety. I guess they will just drink as they see fit. I was just hoping there was some kind of trick that I could try...thanks!

In my short experience, chickens will drink the very nastiest water they can find anywhere. That waterer full of clean water with just the right amount of ACV in it goes untouched while they drink out of the foulest smelling ooze in the yard. For what you have though, I'd fence off that stuff. Realistically it probably isn't hurting them, it's just gross sounding.

Back
Top Bottom